Monday 24 October 2011

Social network sites and Brains


Nowadays, internet is used for business, education, entertainment, and so on. It is very useful for human. Many people in the world use internet to connect with their friends. This way is very popular in society because it's easy and cheaper than phone and it has many functions, for example, sharing photo, face time, and so on. We know many benefit of internet, but we don't know what internet could be affect with our brains.

According to " Internet 'may be changing brains' " on BBC News, researchers told us social network sites might be changing human's brains, but they couldn't tell us it's good or bad.
They have found that the number of Facebook friends linked to some interesting brain regions. In previous research show it linked to amygdala which is associated with memory and emotional response. In this research, Dr Heidi Johansen-Berg, reader in Clinical Neurology at the University of Oxford's Centre for Functional MRI of the Brain, said this study found only a weak relationship. At least, he thought the number of Facebook friends may be depend on how much time to use Facebook or what mobile phone you have.

In my opinion, I agree with this research because I believe that internet could be affect to my brain and I also think it's a bad effect. When I used internet such as Facebook, I really spend many time to see it. I usually look at my Facebook, although it don't have anything. I know it's a bad habit and I want to get it out. I feel like my mind want to look on my Facebook. The big problem for me is when I want to my homework in my notebook, I often enter to my Facebook first for long times. That make me assure that Facebook has a bad effect to my brain, except some websites that have actually benefit, because I believe that it make my brain no active. This is just my opinion and what do you think with this? You agree or disagree with me and this research.

References
Helen Briggs., (2011, October 19). Internet 'may be changing brains'. BBC News.Retrieved October 24 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15353397

1 comment:

  1. Aom,
    I've only been using Facebook for a couple of months, but I think it does have some real benefits for users, and I guess another 800 million people agree.

    This week and last, I've been encouraging Thai teachers of English to use Facebook as a tool for teaching English via student projects.

    I don't think it's affected my brain yet - and I don't think I'm addicted. I don't think my brain has room for any more addictions.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.