Tuesday 25 September 2012

Peter's Academic Interests

My first academic interest was science, specifically, biology, and more specifically, botany. When I was in primary school, around ten years old, I became interested in growing trees, I was fascinated by how an enormous oak or fig could grow from a tiny seed. I had pots with plants growing on ledges all around my family home. From this, my interest spread to biology, which was my favourite subject in first year high school, but that didn't last. By second year, I'd moved on to chemistry, and then physics. For most of high school, my real loves were physics and mathematics, but especially mathematics, which I went on to study at university.

However, one of the Catholic brothers at my school, my physics teacher in fact, introduced me to philosophy. I'm not sure why he did this. Maybe he thought it help me to remain a good Christian. It failed. In the last years of high school, I started reading philosophy more and more, and that is what became my major at university, where my main interests were in logic and moral philosophy. These continue to interest me.

Reading has been a favourite activity for my free time since I was about ten years of age, and I still enjoy it every day. I like to read new work in philosophy, behavioural economics, neuroscience, and history. I also read fiction, but even though some of my favourite stories are subjects of academic study, I just enjoy them because they are great writing and  joy to read.

2 comments:

  1. I used to have a same academic interest as you. When I was young, let's say in my secondary school, I was really interested in botany. This was because I first got a seedling growing in tissue and I wondered how it could grow in that tissue rather than soil or water as we usually saw. After planting that seedling for a while, it germinated into many seedlings. This was surprising me very much. Then I aimed to study botany in the university. Before that I have to study scientific subjects which are biology, physics, and chemistry in high school in order to apply for a faculty of botany. I did biology very well at school but I did not that well for the rest. Then, I changed my mind not to further my study in scientific field. Then, I think accounting might be the best choice at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My interest is similar to yours, when I was young I enjoyed studying biology and botany especially using microscope and did some experiments in the science laboratory as well as outside study for botany subject . Nowadays I am still exiting and keep on learning more by reading and watching True Explorer and True Xzyt channel.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.