Wednesday 26 September 2012

Robot save cost and our hero.


I usually interest and read the science news, but I do not why I missed this news even though I had heard about Mar’s Mission which occurs in 2012 since I was in university. This news reminds me to think about the good things from using the robot to do dangerous works besides using human.

According to “Mars rover examines rock close up” a little mission on the Mar which is not high research value using new robot rover which still has been operating since it landed on the Mar seven weeks ago to test their tools and instruments and to close up the Mar’s rock.


I think it is a good idea using robot rover to do researches on the Mar. There are good benefits to using the robots to do the experiment on the Mar for two reasons especially saving human life.

 Firstly, robots can save the astronaut life who NASA invests on training highly from doing dangerous works on other planet. No one wants to take risks by putting them self in the dangerous situation which is far away about 34.8 million miles from the earth. In fact, everyone loves their life and it is not worth to do dangerous works  even though it give huge money back and  your family or your friends feel very proud of you, after you were death.

Secondly, NASA can reduce huge cost by using robot rover in this Mar mission. For example NASA spent 2.6 billion USD in this mission. It might be higher if they sent the men to do these jobs because they have to prepare all things such as food, air and water which need the space carrying with the shutter and prepare the way and processes which bring their hero back home. This cost will not happen with robot although it needs very high investment on robot technology in preparation process.

All in all, I completely agree with robot rover on the Mar and I suppose the Thai government should think about using machines or robot to deactivate the bomb in the south of Thailand and save our government officer life.

__________
Reference
Mars rover examines rock close up. (2012, September 25). BBC News Science & Environment, Retrieved September 26, 2012 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19712033

Distance From Earth to Mars - How long would it take to get there? (2012, August 6). distance-calculator.co.uk, Retrieved September 26, 2012 from http://www.distance-calculator.co.uk/distance-planet-earth-to-mars.php

11 comments:

  1. Bas,
    It's excellent. I had not read that article until you gave us your summary and response here.

    My first thought was to agree with you: Why send a human when you can send a robot that will do a better job without risk to anyone?

    That led to my next thought, which is something that always bothers me when I watch certain types of sci-fi movies: Why would the aliens come in person when their technology would allow them to send machines? We don't need to go in person to Mars, so why would invading aliens come to Earth when they could send machines to investigate and conquer us? I like sci-fi films, but sometimes I wish they would think things through a bit more. But perhaps then the story would not be so exciting.

    I enjoyed your post. Thanks for bringing this report on the BBC News to our notice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thinks they do it in this movies "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (2008) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0970416/
    , but it quite not success any more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right, except for Keanu Reeves, who isn't playing a robot. But the rest of the alien team in this fun movie are sensibly machines.

    And that reminds me of Contact, starring Jodie Foster, where the aliens send only information to Earth, not even a robot, and certainly no alien person. But we send Jodie Foster to say "Hello" from us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "contact"movie was a new idea in that time and it led I though about how was she traveled to other planet or other place and came back to the earth just only within a drop of sphere. In the story, I didn't think she went to other planet because she met her father who was already death. perhaps the alien turn their representation into her father form because they wanted her to believe in what they said.

      Delete
  4. I agree with you. It is wonderful to research Mars without risk. Moreover, we can watch pictures of that by internet. And I hope that the day will come soon when robots do dengerous work instead of human.

    I also think that astronauts want to go to new planet in person because it is their and human's dream.
    So someday, when it is confirmed that Mars and spaceship are safe, human will go there and see it with own eyes.
    And I want to be there too.

    Maybe aliens in sci-fi movies send robots to earth and then, they come in person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Bas and Haru. The robot is a good way to reserch Mars because it safe cost and it can do something more dangerous than astronauts, I think in the future, the governement may modify their robots to be more strong and more capability.

      Anyway there are many astronauts who would like to do the mission on mars. It is not just about to finish the mission but it is about wonderful time and great experience that they get for their lifes.

      Delete
  5. I’m interested in it. We don’t want to work in dangerous or unknown places, so I agree with you.
    When I made or studied robots in university, we thought about situation of earthquake or power plant accident. Now, we are in the problem of the nuclear power plant in Japan, and some robots are working in this difficult situation. However, in the Mars is more difficult it because we cannot make same situation in the earth such as gravitation, weather and the long distance. Making this robot is very difficult. NASA had to try sending robots there many time, but it had been able to get a little information every time, so some people think that it is waste money. However, I think this technology is very important. I researched some NASA technology when I studied robots, and we tried to make our robots, now many robots work in Japan. I believe that some of it have been helping our life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In present time, some restaurant(MK resturant) tried to use the robot in their business by using the robot do easily work like serving food to their customer, however, it still have some error on their demonstration. It is one of good things which is a technology changing made our life better.

      Delete
  6. Cost is also important, I agree with Bas. The cost of preparing to be astronaut will occur for each, I have not heard sending the same man to different planets. I think we can continue develop robot in unlimited time, unlimited ways (can add many abilities to one robot) while a man has limit aged-time and we must think of his rights, his family and his future. Investing in robot is not wasteful because we can send same robot to different planets for many times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Bass! If you can send a robot, without risk, and knowing that they do a better job than a human can do, why continue sending a human?

      But like Haru said, I also think that astronauts want to go to a new planet in person because it is their dreams. They realy want to go there and see with their own eyes.


      Delete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.