Wednesday 1 May 2013

A Cat in a Coffee

Art is the expression of one’s imagination in any forms; for example, painting, drawing, sculpture or even on the cup of coffee.

According to Maria Godoy’s article “Masterpiece In A Mug: Japanese Latte Art Will Perk You Up”, even though there is very common in Japan to have an art on the surface of the coffee, it’s now time for a “3-D creation” (2013, ¶2) of a cat in the coffee, changing the idea of a typical cup of coffee.



I think this is new to me because I have never seen the 3-D feature in the coffee before. It’s so amazing that the latte artist can create this kind of art. Not only does he have the imagination of what he’s going to create from the form, but he also has a superb skill of controlling the toothpick and spoon that he used as the paintbrush. Because I have ever tried to create a picture in the coffee, but I get something unidentified instead.

Nevertheless, I wonder how the taste’s like. Sometimes, I find that behind the splendid look that is created and the expensive price, there is an awful taste. However, the consumer is already blind by its look and then ignores its taste. This story also reminds me of the dessert shop in Taiwan. It serves every menu with Hello Kitty’s icon; for example, a creation of kitty by green tea powder on the plate, and a kitty-shaped pudding. I firstly take a lot of pictures of my dishes and I don’t want to make them disappeared by eating them. Therefore, I dip each of them slowly and minimally as if it is my last piece. However, I actually think that the taste is so so, but I am very appreciated with the presentation of the dishes. Taking the last reason into account, for me, it worth paying for.

I am the one who love taking a sip of coffee on the lazy day to arouse me or on the non-rush day to make me relax. I didn't say that I’m a coffee addict, but a cup of coffee a day makes my terrible day away. So does my money. However, I know that the ingredients that are put in my cup of coffee are not healthy because it is enriched by milk, cream, and sugar. Therefore, I try to decrease the frequency of my consumption.
__________
Reference
GODOY, M. (2013, April 25). Masterpiece In A Mug: Japanese Latte Art Will Perk You Up. NPR Art &Design. Retrieved May 1, 2013 from http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/04/24/178841995/masterpiece-in-a-mug-japanese-latte-art-will-perk-you-up

7 comments:

  1. Peace,
    I'm so glad you added the image. I like your writing as well, but I'm afraid it's hard to compete with that picture.

    I like my coffee strong and black, so I'm not sure if I'll try it, and definitely not Hello Kitty.

    Are other 3-D creations available?

    I especially like your comments about the skill that must go into such a creation: it reminded me of the skill that goes into writing, which also requires practise to develop (this is my subtle hint that we want to practise writing every day). I guess the latte artist has put in lots of practise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter for your comment.

      As your question drives me to find out more about 3-D creation, I found that there are actually not only a cat, but also a snowman, rabbit, panda, hippo, etc. The creation is even advance to a double faces of bears.

      Delete
  2. And thank you for getting the response blogging off to such a cool start. (Cool is now so common in English that we don't need to write "cool", although I might not do this in more academic writing.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peace reminded me when I went to Magnum Cafe at Siam Center with Poom last few weeks ago. We had "Chocolate Implosion", gigantic chocolate egg with slightly small velvet cake inside, served with marshmallow and fruit salad. It looks really good. But the thing is, when the waiter poured hot chocolate over the egg shell, it was melted immediately. I can't even take a photo. I saw it only about 2 minutes, then it's gone. And the taste wasn't impressed me as its looks as well.

    I also want to try to make 3D latte arts too. It sounds fun, although I probably have an ugly kitty in my cup. What a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the source of my response writing, there is someone says that because of its short lasting, something is beautiful. I think this idea definitely can apply to your experience.

      Delete
  4. hahaha It's quite new for me too but it's creative and wonderful. However, it might give me a hard time to decide which part of the image I will cut it off first. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. A few years ago, coffee every morning is a part of my life, and it let me to observed in the "Thailand Baristar competition 2011" even in this competition I have never seen a Latte art( Art milk's bubble on coffee) like this.
    Such a cute creation !

    And It remind me of most of Japanese dessert which always come with the lovely and fantastic package , but sometime taste not wonderful like how it look. By the way it always be a shopaholic 's trap.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.