Thursday 2 May 2013

How Good Reviews Are?

Apart from my sister suggestion, another reason I enrolled to study AEP at AUA came from the internet – that is, review comments which are more positive than negative. As I expect, this course fulfills my English skills and provides me to meet lovely people.

According to Michael M. Phillips, writing in The Wall Street Journal “These Amazon Products Are No Joke, But the Online Reviews Are”, a lot of examples, particularly jokes, from reviews on Amazon website are randomly responded by reviewers, who left either funny or weird comments, sharing their ideas about products to readers.

From huge billboards on big buildings to glossy screens on BTS to shiny magazine covers, those are forms of advertising we tend to encounter wherever we go. We have such plentiful options, yet which one we should buy? Review is very useful, particularly if you are choosey. It gives us ideas from many perspectives on many aspects. I think it's very much like a group of friends who have never seen each other but help each other to decide which one is better for you. We can learn from their experiences that they share in online source. This looks like someone helps us to do our homework. We can save time and make decision to buy things more carefully. Since each idea of ​individuals comes together, as a guideline, I can decide which one suits me. Additionally, examples are very interesting – reading with feeling that doesn’t lean to right or left, I look for reasons.

What’s more, there are the people who share a joke when they left comments. I admit that I always love to read them, especially when they located next to 5 stars rated or thousands of thumb ups. Most of them are silly. In the state of confusion, I bobbed. Yes! I think I agree with them. However, some might think that they are garbage, but I don’t. Honestly, I love to read them because those “wiseman”, who left ridiculous comments, always presents ideas, which I’ve never ever have. While those reviews may seem crazy, I come up with nothing but fun. I often have no ideas that those goods they talk about are worth to buy or not. How about you?

Although it sounds delightful, some people use review in wrong ways; for example, they overpraise their products or organization in reviews – we would call them fake review. Illustrations, for instance, we probably know that the images in the websites don’t show the true condition. Like they present, some pictures were taken and magnified, turning to enchanting stuffs. In addition, the sense of humour also has a long lasting effects. But if it is too much, it appears to be foolish instead of fun. In our societies, we still need rational reasons based on our instincts to discuss.

Lastly, this article is a good fun – I recommend you to read it. If you don’t fancy to read, just watch banana slicer clip on the top of the article. How imaginative reviewers are!
__________
Reference
Phillips, M. (2013, April 30). These Amazon Products Are No Joke, But the Online Reviews Are. The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved May 2, 2013 from http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323528404578454763919379102.html?mod=WSJ_hp_Asia_EditorsPicks#articleTabs%3Darticle

3 comments:

  1. LIke Sorn,
    I find reviews helpful, but if it's something that matters to me, I give more weight to a professional review.

    On a lighter note, I think that "I was thinking, 'Sweet! Finally a version of Outlook that will run on my wooden Chinese toilet seats!!'" is my favourite example, although the opening comments on the book listing one million random numbers were also pretty good. You're right - the article is very good fun. Thanks for a cheerful start to the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that some review comments are greatly exaggerated. To demonstrate, the review comments on food in the book or on TV show are sometimes exaggerated about the taste of food that their review. Because when I follow that comment to the restaurant, I think that the food is not that good. I also think that the reviewers cannot find any other good restaurants in order to publish their monthly comments because they have already published the good ones and there is no one left. Therefore, the viewers have to use their own judgment before actually follow the review comments suggest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you all. Most of the review comment on any product always sound exaggerated but the question is if you are the owner of one product, how will you recommend your own product for the customer? I think you will do the same. Every company want to get as much benefit as possible and do anyway to achieve the purpose regardless of the real quality as long as it doesn't breach any regulation.
    Don't you think?

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.