Tuesday 14 May 2013

UN wants us to eat more insects to save the world.




Would the Pizza Hut include the insects on their pizza menu?

In “UN urges people to eat insects to fight world hunger”, the new UN report urge that eating insects provide nutritional value as same as eating meats and less pollution than livestock which it could use for fighting with starvation, but there are still unacceptable and disgusting for consumer to eat insects in many western countries. So, the report want to “improved regulation and production for using insects as feed” and recommends food industry could make it more popular by including them their new receipts and adding them on their menus.

When I was in schools, I used to eat fired caterpillars before. Nowadays, I avoid to eating it because it is not healthy. Cooking process and raw caterpillars have more hazards which they come from using the same oil when they fire it and some chemical substance to preserve raw caterpillars. So, I decided to avoid eating it for my healthy.

I agree that many insects have more nutritional value as meats have, but the cooking process and the way to preserve them are not healthy which they make many people like me avoided to have them.  Therefore, eating insects need to improve its standard before the UN encourages people to have it.
__________

Reference
UN urges people to eat insects to fight world hunger. (2013, May 13) BBC News World Retrieved May 14, 2013 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-22508439

7 comments:

  1. I have never eaten insects before. But I think that they are rich of calcium because we can eat them as a whole.

    However, I wonder whether there is an insecticide in those insects when they are caught.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, well, maybe, but not on a delicate stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like eating fried bamboo worm, the Northern Thailand famous dish. I've never missed it when I go up North. It is the only type of insects I've ever eaten. Admittedly, it looks terrifying and disgusting but the taste is quite good - likes some fried snack. I agree with Bas that cooking process is contaminated in someways. That is what I worry about every time I have it at restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could cope with looking terrifying, it's the disgusting bit that is a problem for me. I tried the deep fried grasshoppers when first came to Thailand. They sort of look like French fries, and crunch up very similarly; in fact, they also taste about the same - of nothing but the oil they are fried in.

      Like Bas, I wouldn't want to make a habit of eating them because the taste isn't great, and I also worry about all that oil of doubtful healthiness.

      And when I used to visit Petchaboon with a Thai friend, we always went red and hunting, and the soup made up from their pupae was delicious.

      But I don't think I could love eating worms. The associations are set and are too negative. The same for spiders - I once visited Phrae with a friend, and one day in the rice fields, he got excited about a largish hole, from which he extracted a large, furry, black spider. After his mum had cooked it up, I was kindly offered first choice, but passed that delight to those who were clearly going to love it.

      Delete
    2. On the other hand, I don't think I've ever tried or been offered fried bamboo worms. Could you call them caterpillars? That might make them easier for me to at least try than worms.

      Delete
  4. To encourage many people in the western countries for eating more insects, the UN should crate the regulation for making the image of eating insect be more eatable than disgusting which it controls all process and food safety that related with insects since framing process to cooking process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was suggested one of exchange student who came to my high school to eat 'fried bamboo caterpillar', its such a popular, expensive, and deluxe food in my hometown (Lampang), but his face turn to seem like he nearly to vomit.
    In addition, I have read some article that talk about eating insect in insufficient-period like in war or after big catastrophe, they said that insect not only have more nutrition than meat but you can also found it in every place in the world !!!!
    But I think most of people i like to eat other insect that they never familiar with, like white people and people in developed country, for the reason I think because for them, insect is a signature of unhygienic that make they feel disgusting to eat insect.

    It's a big problem for UN if they want to recommend people to eat insect
    they not only deal with the scientific fact but also what people believe and feel.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.