Friday 3 May 2013

Eat equal Exercise?

Would you like that burger with a side of exercise?

There is limited time with many workers to eat in a busy city. Many people don't have time to cook themselves, snack and high calories foods are the solution. Thus, the number of city people become fat and obese is increasing, not only in America, but everywhere around the world. 

According to "When Cheeseburger = Walking, Will We Eat Less?", federal food imposes the restaurant to post the calories counts because they what American choose to eat healthy. Ashlei James did the test and the results came out that people reduces their foods after they see exercising time on the menus, however, there is no effect when people see calories counts on the menus.

I'm the person who always looking and read at the calories counts label beside the food products, but I always eat it even though it is low or high calories. The fact is people doesn't know how these number will be effect their body and their weight, because people doesn't have any idea or knowledge about it, like me.

In America, there are many fast foods, high calories foods, snack, soda, and so on, that provide people every corner of the road. And the number of obesity is rapid increasing. I watched the news few months (or more than that) ago, in New York legislate to sell super size soda pop in every restaurant. This kind of rule makes people aware of their health. I watched movie Super size me, it’s about American man name Morgan who filmed himself 30 days ate only McDonalds foods. The result of his health after finish 30 days is affecting his health a lots. He becomes risk on many diseases such as diabetes, high blood pressure, headache, weight gain, high cholesterol, and gain fat mass. This make me more concern about foods that I consume every day.

__________

Reference

Shute, N. (2013, April 23). When Cheeseburger = Walking, Will We Eat Less?. npr the salt. Retrieved May 2, 2013 from http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/04/23/178632857/when-cheeseburger-walking-will-we-eat-less

6 comments:

  1. I like this idea adding calories count on menu because I really want to know how much I consume each meal. However, I hardly find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Ploy's mention of the mayor of New York's attempt a couple of months ago to ban the sale of large, sugary drinks because of the unhealthy effects of sugar: the mayor is of course right, and he applied exactly the same arguments used to support bans on heroin, yaa baa and other popular drugs, although not the most harmful drug of all: alcohol.

    Fortunately, the courts stopped Mayor Bloomberg's effort to ban large, sugary drinks.

    But I disagree with Ploy when she says that people don't know what effect eating fatty or sugary foods will have on their bodies - I'm pretty sure that everyone does know, just as every smoker knows perfectly well that it is very dangerous: human beings make decisions for more complex reasons, and health might not be that high on the list of factors. Education about harmful health effects does not seem to be a solution to the problems of unhealthy behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story reminded me about my lasting questions of why the US people love hamburger but don't like chicken in fast-food such as KFC or Macdonald and considers it as junk food despite the fact that the two brand owners are American. Anyway I thought it might be about healthy issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Ashlei James that posting exercising time on the menus sounds more practical than posting just calories counts since most people are not aware how much calories they consume ;however, if exercising time is put on the menus, they will realize that it is not easy to get rid of food they eat especially, excess fat.

    I sometimes enjoy eating fast food even though I know it's not good to health. I try to limit how much food I eat and then go exercising.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the ways that businesses' owners are prone to care more about their consumers by mention calories on packages. At least buyers can notice them before they buy whether they know the meaning of that numbers or not. Comparing to other products, for example, can encourage them to know about what they should eat or what they should avoid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm one of metro-life style person who used to addicted with fast food.
    Everyday,I cant go to school without sandwich and a cup of coke from McDonald and after 3 months of bad eating habit , my waistline extended 3 inches- -"

    Without doubt, I turn to a new person who have to read calories label before buy something to eat.
    And now I will be love the food company which will include the exercise time for burning we gain from each menu,it will make the new eating habit for me !

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.