Thursday 2 May 2013

Big deaths, Big effects

Have you ever think that what you will do, if you were under the wreckage and you cannot move?

According to "Bangladesh building collapse: Death toll passes 400" article, almost 400 bodies were found death in the wreckage of collapsed factory building and around 149 people are still missing. some of thousands protesters proposed death penalty for the building's owner.

This news reminded me to the tragedy that over a hundred of Thai people were killed by collapsed building in Nakhonratchasima province. In the quiet morning of August, 13 1993, Thailand had been shocked with a very big tragedy that the Royal Plaza hotel's building was collapsed. The result of this tragedy is that approximately 137 bodies were been found dead under the wreckage and over 300 people were injured. The owner of the hotel were found innocent and the civil engineer of this build were be in jail for 20 years whereas, the cause of this building collapse is that the building was originally designed to be a three floor building but, the owner of the hotel ordered the civil engineer to reshape it to be a six floor building without new building creating.This tragedy had a very big effects on the civil engineer laws and improved a lot of the structure safety.

I had through that if I were under the wreckage of the building and I cannot move my body in the very hard situation that the building was broken down to the ground by any thing such as bombing or airplane crashing. I prefer to die and get my rest in peace instead of getting too much painfulness from be under the pressing with very heavy things and not being able to move. because my body and mind will get too much suffering and I might not be the same as I was. In other word, I might get some disability and I might have to stay on the wheelchair among of my life, however, I now changed my minds. I would do anything that it can make me get survival because I still have a lot of thing to do before I can die.

Bangladesh is one of cheap labor cost  countries in the world. Many company want much benefit as they can earn from their business so, they took some safeties off for reducing their investment cost. I predict that Bangladesh government will create and use the stronger policies to control the building safety in the future as soon as they want to end their protest. It looks like they have to face with the big deaths before they can do it.

Reference
Bangladesh building collapse: Death toll passes 400. (2013, May 1). BBC News Asia.Retrieved May 1, 2013 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22364891

2 comments:

  1. Bas's opening sentence certainly grabs the reader, at least this one. And it's very hard not to think of something.

    I also like the connection he makes with the collapse in Thailand, which when reminded I do vaguely remember, mainly because of the discussion about how the extra floors came to be illegally added.

    As described, I would also prefer a quicker death a lingering agony. In fact, I would prefer that even if I weren't trapped under a collapsed building.

    Very different topic and treatment to Peace's post a little earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nowadays, the number of bodies that were found dead under the wreckage rocketed up to 610 bodies which there are very a few of hopes which someone might still survive under the rubble for many days.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.