Friday 10 August 2018

A new chapter in the Samsung story

What I read

In "Samsung Galaxy Note 9 alerts users to bad photos" (2018), Leo Kelion says that because sales of the company's Galaxy S9 phones were less than it had hoped, Samsung, which remains the worlds top seller of smartphones while facing greater competition, has released its Galaxy Note 9 phone aimed at business users earlier than expected. The new phone offers better photography, with AI enhanced features to detect and correct flaws in photographs taken with the improved cameras, and it also improves the stylus with Bluetooth so that it can remotely control the phone, which also has greater memory and other improvements over last year's Note 8. 

___________________________________ 

My response 

I'm one of the happy Samsung customers who decided not to upgrade my Galaxy S8+ this year. The S9 is great, but it wasn't so much better than the S8 that I wanted to buy the new phone; however, I do like the sound of the Note 9, which might tempt me to upgrade in a month or so. The real attraction for me is the stylus. I've never had a phone with a stylus before, but my MS Surface Pro laptop and Samsung Tab 3 both have them, and to my surprise, I use the stylus a lot. For example, these days, I do my brainstorming in OneNote with the stylus, which is much better than paper brainstorm: it's far more flexible, and can easily be shared if I want to let others see my scribbles, although my handwriting can be a challenge. 


The rapid evolution of this sort of technology is amazing, and it seems to get faster every year. The sleek phone that I now carry everywhere in my shirt pocked,  and which I use constantly for everything from staying in touch with people, to taking photographs, doing my banking, and so on, is vastly more powerful than the bulky computers I used to use just a couple of decades ago. I can't imagine what my phone and other devices will be able to do in another ten years. Will they still need me at all? 

Hopefully, it will take a month or so to arrive in Thailand, which will give me time to review the urgent need I now feel to upgrade. I'm sure I could get by with last year's phone for a bit longer, but I can't deny that I'm sorely tempted. An upgrade will also make the eleven-year-old son of my friend Yo very happy: he is eager to inherit my old device, and was a bit disappointed when I resisted his suggestion that I upgrade a few months ago. 
___________________________________ 

My question

Could you live without your smart devices? 
___________________________________ 

Reference

6 comments:

  1. As usual, I had to read my source a few times before I could try to write an effective summary that picked out the main ideas to write in the 107 words of the summary above in "What I read."

    The response, although much longer, was easy: I wrote my first idea with some details in one paragraph. Then I wrote the next paragraph on a different topic and idea before the third paragraph that is again on a different topic that came to mind in response to the article.

    Feel welcome to share your ideas on "My question," or any other response that comes to your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say I could but that will make my daily life much more inconvenient. One main benefit of smartphone is that it is a general purpose device, which means it is able to do any tasks as long as there is available app to give its instructions. So, I can use my smartphone for making call, surfing the internet, telling time, taking photo, taking some note, listening to music, watching movies, etc. Without smartphones I have to carry a particular device for each task. Before smartphone era, I remember that when I was going out I had to decide early on which necessary items I would take with me. These days I don’t have to worry about it anymore. I just take my smartphone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teng. As I read your comment, I realised that the thing I do least with my smartphone is make phone calls. I usually contact people using apps such as FB Messenger or Line.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In everyday life, everyone uses many smart devices such as smart televetion, smart phone so I can not live without smart device especially smart phone. I use smart phone to do many things for example to take a photo, calculate, listen to music, communicate my friends and family. Today, smart phone is very smart, it can do many things. It has many applications such as google classroom. It very convenient and useful for students. That is the reason why I cannot livewithout smart devices.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.