Saturday 4 August 2018

Peter's Reading and Writing

Since I was in primary school, I have read a lot. I went to a Catholic school and was taught by nuns in primary school, but they were aging and very gentle. I don't think that they were very good teachers for most subjects, but they got me reading. They read stories that were fun, and they encouraged us to read. We had a small library at the school, and before I'd finished to move on to high school, I had read everything.

At high school, there were even more opportunities to read. It was a much bigger school, with a real library packed with books. I loved reading novels, but I also read science books and magazines, and mathematics magazines. My teachers in high school were a bit more strict, but even they used to let me off class sometimes to read what I wanted in the library. 

Today, I still enjoy reading, although I no  longer average a book a day as I did in school and at university, when there were far fewer demands on my time. 

I also try to write a bit every day. Most of the things I write now are short, but if I do something every day, I think it's good practice, and I like seeing the results of my work, especially when it's published for the world to read, although I suspect that only  a very small number of people read my contributions to various discussions. Lately, I've started writing poetry again, and I'd like to get into creative writing, but not today.

A few years ago, I used to Tweet, and that was useful. The 140 character limit forced me to be a bit more concise than I usually am when I write. When I was at university I sometimes had problems because I wanted to go well over the limit on the set number of words, and that is still sometimes a problem for me. I don't Tweet on Twitter any more, but that was a fun bit of writing that was different to what i normally do. 

1 comment:

  1. It's Good for you're love read because I don't like to read except magazines, It's made me fall asleep when I try to read the English book.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.