Sunday 2 May 2021

Skillful 4: Reading and Writing, page 9 - After you watch

Discuss (v.) & discussion (n.) 

page 8
In every unit of Skillful 4, authors Lindsay Warwick and Louis Rogers make frequent use of the verb discuss (2018). The noun discussion is in fact the very first word of every unit, and the third word in every unit is the verb, for example on page 152. Rogers and Zemach almost always collocate the verb discuss with the object noun partner, or put them in close proximity. They clearly intend the discussion to be spoken, which is what we sometimes do, but in many cases, it helps our reading and writing class more to have a written discussion of the questions the authors ask us to discuss.

____________________________________ 

Why hold the discussion on an online forum? 

Apart from the fact that ours is a reading and writing class, there are several solid reasons for holding at least some of our discussions online. 
  • It practices response writing for fluency. Unlike in more formal academic writing, the goal is not to do research or even to plan carefully, but to quickly communicate your own ideas on a topic or in response to an issue. You should still write complete sentences organized in paragraphs, but we are not looking for a carefully planned piece of work that was extensively reviewed and revised after it was first written and posted. Response writing is not academic writing; it does, however, practice the fluency that is also important in more formal work.  
     
  • This sort of response writing is common at universities today. As part of their assessment, students are often expected to participate in online discussion forums that explore issues raised in lectures, seminars, or tutorials. This sort of response writing is a common component of academic work. 
     
  • Brainstorming and sharing ideas independently of face-to-face group discussion typically produces a wider and more thoughtful variety of responses, which is good for the group. See, for example, the articles on this in the Harvard Business Review by Art Markman (2017), Andrew O’Connell (2010), and Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic (2015). (If you are interested, read some of the sources I've cited here after our class. They are all short.) 

____________________________________ 


Warwick and Rogers' questions 

Rogers and Zemach's questions are: 
  1. Click to enlarge image
    Would a service like On Your Way be useful for you? 
     
  2. Would you be happy to fulfil an On Your Way request for somebody? Why or why not?
     
  3. Can you foresee any issues a cross-border courier service like this may face? 
     
  4. What impact do you think a service like On Your Way could have on online retailers? 
 

A helpful strategy

Imagine you are writing for someone who has neither seen the question you are answering nor the video that the question follows up. Your job is to clearly communicate your response to that reader. Because your writing should make sense independently of the question it might be answering, it is usually helpful to give background, which can often be done by paraphrasing the question into statements that begin your answer. 

Also, it might work better not to respond to the questions in the order they are given here. That is not necessary. Whatever you do, do not number your answers. Do not write 1, 2, 3, or 4 anywhere in your response. It's OK if you don't cover all five questions. 

You have 12:00 minutes. I strongly suggest you spend at least 2:00 minutes thinking and planning before you start writing. It's a good idea to have some idea where you are going before you start to write, but in quick response writing like this, you might not follow that plan; that's not a problem, but it's still good to have a plan before you start to type.  

 

Remember: sentences in paragraphs 

This is response writing. You want to communicate your ideas fluently as if you were speaking for two or three minutes to someone listening carefully. However, that person can't stop you to ask questions, so it's important to state your ideas in complete sentences organized into paragraphs. 


____________________________________ 

References


9 comments:

  1. Would a service like On Your Way be useful for you?
    - Yes, I find a service like On Your Way is useful for me because I can save a lot of money arising from tariffs or expensive shipping costs.

    Would you be happy to fulfil an On Your Way request for somebody? Why or why not?
    - I am more than happy to fulfil an On Your Way request only for my close friends and family. The reason is that it does not cost me in price and can also help them to get the products faster than ever.

    Can you foresee any issues a cross-border courier service like this may face?
    - The main concern is that how much you can trust in someone who will be carrying things for you. They can sometimes be cheaters.

    What impact do you think a service like On Your Way could have on online retailers?
    -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not thought of them, but I like your idea about saving on import costs such as tariffs. I sometimes get the Lanolin cream I mention in my own comment below sent from a shop in Sydney, and the import duties are annoying. Oddly, they are not charged every time. Sometimes my package arrives is delivered through the mail with no hold ups, but occasionally, I have to go to the Customs Office miles away to pay an import duty. It not just the cost that annoys (it almost doubles the cost of the the product!), but it's very inconvenient making the trip and spending time to pick up my goods. It's much more convenient when a visiting sister or friend can carry some over for me.

      I agree completely with your worries about trust. I thought not just of being cheated, but of being to transport illegal goods, which could get an innocent carrier into serious trouble. When you said "be cheaters," how did you think someone might cheat using the "On Your Way" service?

      Delete
    2. Oops - I should have proofread.
      In my second paragraph, it should be:

      I thought not just of being cheated, but of being used or tricked to transport illegal goods, ...

      If I make a small typo in a comment, I don't worry about it, but the missing word there was serious enough to add another reply to correct it.

      Delete
    3. The carriers can sometimes be cheaters themselves. For example, they may illegally swap the products and deliver the ones that is not originally intended to be sent to you (maybe the fake or low-quality product) (I do not know what to say this situation in English) 555 please help me build a sentence according to what I am trying to say.

      Delete
    4. I think you communicated your idea clearly, despite there being a couple of mistakes in the language. A proofread version might be:
      The carriers could sometimes be cheaters themselves. For example, they might illegally swap the products being sent, delivering ones that were not originally intended, such as fake or low-quality products. (The main language change made here is to use might and could because the situation being described is an imagined (unreal) example.

      Delete
  2. A service like the Lebanese start up "On Your Way" would be useful for me, but I would not use it. If that sounds contradictory, let me explain. I would not use it because I worry about accepting international packages from people I don't know. I don't know the person bringing something in to the country, so how would I know what it is? Might I be helping drug smugglers or something? That's why I would not use it, but I do like the idea, and in fact I regularly do the same sorts of things. When my sisters or friends are coming to THailand, I often ask them to pick up things that are hard to find in Thailand, mainly Lanolin cream, which doesn't seem to be available anywhere in Thailand. And when I'm visiting Australia, my friends and family often ask me to pick things up for them, which is no problem because I travel very light on my annual visits. I'm always happy to do this for people I know, like family and close friends, but I would not do it for anyone else, and I would never carry a package if I did not know what was in it.

    So although I think "On YOur Way" is a good idea, I think that the issues of trust among people we don't know would be a worry. If the person picking something up is also the one who buys it from the store, that probably safe for them, but how does the person on the other end know where it really came from? Perhaps if the business offers guarantees and checks everyone's ID carefully, it will be safe, but then people will worry about privacy issues and the dangers of identity theft and so on. If someone just asked me to pick up a package for them that was already wrapped, I would definitely not do that.

    On the other hand, is this so different to the trust issues using Amazon or eBay?

    I'm not surprised that the business is still relatively small, with only 50 orders a month. It might grow, but I can't see it becoming a major business like Amazon or eBay, which need not feel threatened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I do agree with all of your comments. And what I want to add is that to deal with the trust or security issue, it would be better if "On Your Way" has a secured registration system. That is to say, people need to be registered with "On Your Way" by giving their personal information and proof of identity such as name, address and copy of ID card in order to be eligible for working as carriers of packages. Doing this would allow "On Your Way" as well as service users to track down or know the identity and necessary information of the carriers. As a result, it would be easier to have them liable in case of any wrongdoings.

      Delete
    3. I like your constructive suggestions for solving what seemed to me a serious problem. It reminded me that sometimes when I've registered for an online service, a small charge, typically $1:00 immediately refunded, has been made against one of my credit cards, which establishes that I have control of an account that a bank has verified, and banks tend to be careful about opening accounts for people.

      Delete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.