Wednesday 18 January 2012

The Dangers of Cyberspace


Currently, everyone needs to use a computer to work and sometimes need to communicate with other people, especially young people that Surf the Internet than any other age whether talking with friends or playing online games. However, in fact, letting the children Surf the Internet at a long time, it can affect their body as well.

According to "Web addicts have brain changes, research suggests" on the BBC News website, Web addicts can cause our brain changes similar to an addiction to drugs or drink alcohol. The symptoms of this disease is the lack of control to Surf the Internet which affects mood, decision-making and self-control. Moreover, These symptoms have appeared in people who addicted to playing video games as well. Dr Henrietta Bowden-Jones, consultant psychiatrist and honorary senior lecturer at Imperial College London, said the symptoms of addiction to the Internet must be studied in more patients to confirm the discovery of this disease.

I think Surfing the Internet or playing computer games at a long time is a bad thing. I admit that I'm the one of those people who likes to play computer for a long time as well. On average, I play the computer about five to six hours per day, but on the weekend, I play a computer more than seven hours per day. When I was young, my mom told me that you shouldn't sit in front of a computer at a long time because it sends a negative effect on the eyes spine and neck bones. At first, I didn't believe her, so now I have to wear glasses because I'm sit in front of computer for a long time (I'm not just Surf the Internet but I have to sit to work and write novels as well).

Therefore, after I read this article, I was very surprised that Surfing the Internet or playing computer games can affect our brain. I always wondered why it's difficult to control my own feeling such as, want to do something, angry, or sad. I think perhaps as a result of using computer for a long time but I still suspect that it also affects human's memory or not, for I always forget something, for example, when I opened the refrigerator, sometimes I forget what I want to pick. How about you? Have you ever had the symptoms like these? and In one day, how long do you Surf the Internet or use the computer?
__________
References
Briggs, H. (2012, January 12). Web addicts have brain changes, research suggests. BBC News. Retrieved January 18, 2012 from

6 comments:

  1. Yes, I sometimes forget why I've opened the refrigerator door. I tend to think it's because I'm ageing. I'm sure it didn't happen to often ten years ago, but maybe I just don't remember.

    But I started wearing glasses long before computers were around, so I'm sure that they could not have been a contributing factor in my weak eyes. Perhaps reading books was the problem? Should parents stop their children from spending too much time reading books?

    Nice post Praew. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter,
    I think reading books is the one problem, but I still think that parents shouldn't stop their children to read many books because children are young, and they can learn something new better than my age (I'm 18 years old). Moreover, they have a good memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Preaw,
    I agree. Just because there is a health risk in doing something, it doesn't mean we shouldn't do it. There can be other very real benefits that outweigh the risk, that even outweigh actual harm to health.

    If being a unhealthy were a good reason not to allow something or to ban it, then most office work would have to be banned, along with mining, farming, and now that I think of it, almost everything.

    No, no. Being a health risk can't possibly be a good enough reason to ban something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Preaw
    I don't completely agree your ideas. I think spending long time in front of computer is not good. It can cause many unpleasant effects,such as obesity, anorexia, and something like that. I think the behaviour of reading is suitable for every age range.The main point is whether read a long time or not, I think it is whether take a break or not, if you take a break every two hours, it won't be bad affect for your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P' Vee
    I have some question. How about people who work in the company and they must use computers all the time? For example, a friend of my father always use a computer at work. Even he take a break every two or three hours, he still has a problem with his eyes. I think that take a break from working might help us, but spending long time in front of computer can affect our eyes anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Preaw
    Your question is very useful to let me consider the kinds of material of sources. I think the types of material are the main point in this case. The different materials can cause different effects for our eyes. In my opinion, the sources are made by natural materials are better than electronic materials,such as books, magazine,and newspaper. The bright light which giving off from screen of electronic devices can harm our eyes, if we look at it for long time. According to medical theory, human's eyes blink frequently in order to make tears to protect itselives. Looking at the computer for long time cause the eyes reducing number of blink, though you have taking a break. I think if you have to work on the computer for long time, you should look the trees when you taking a break, because the green colour can let the eyes relax and reflesh.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.