Tuesday 24 January 2012

Please take care of your beloved parents


The number of older people in the society is increasing so these people must be concerned about the illness which can occur by aging and the most popular illness is osteoporosis. So that why the state try to encourage these people prevent it by checking bone density.

According to "Patients with Normal Bone Density Can Delay Retests,Study Suggests" on The New York Times, experts try to find the suitable interval for people to receive bone density retests because it is unnecessary and waste money for checking it too frequent. So they set up an experiment by following 5000 women ages 67 and older for more than a decade; the researchers divide women into four groups: those with normal bone density, those with mild osteopenia, those with moderate osteopenia and severe osteopenia. The results show that people who have normal and mildly low bone density develop osteoporosis in the ensuing 15 years while moderate and advance osteopenia develop osteoporosis within 4.7 years and one year orderly. This study can predict when people have to get bone density test again after 65 years old.

I think this article is useful for every families who have old people in their house because from my direct experience, I have two grandmothers and one of my grandam has a problem with her knee. My grandmother is 82 years old now,she has operated on her left knee around 20 years ago and after that she has never checked her bone density until the last 2 months, her right knee was pained and cannot walk. My father took her to the hospital immediately and doctors told us that she had to receive an operation for changing her knee again. Moreover, doctor told us that my grandmother did not receive enough certain substances for her bones and I think that because of she does not like to drink milk or takes vitamins so these make she get osteoporosis easily; and the most important thing is she did not get a bone density retest for a long time so we cannot know the real physical state of her bones that are weak or not. This situation makes me start to concern about the health of our beloved relatives or parents and try to keep them healthy by taking them to the hospital for checkup duly.
__________
References
Gina Kolata (2012,January 18). Patients with Normal Bone Density Can Delay Retests,Study Suggests. The New York Times. Retrieved January 24,2012 from http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/19/health/bone-density-tests-for-osteoporosis-can-wait-study-says.html

12 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that your grandmother suffer from osteoporosis, and I hope she will more healthy. I agree that drinking milk and take the vitamins are good things, but I have other ways to suggest. My Great-grandmother is ninety-six years old, but she still healthy and not suffering from anything because she always eat healthy food such as, vegetables, fruits, doesn't eat spicy food, and important thing is she always happy. I think this is another way to keep older people healthy and strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get well soon for your grandam.

    I had this experience in my family too. Last year, my grandad slipped down on the street. He was no pain but he can't walk. So, we took him to the hospital. The dortor said his hipbone was broken and had to urgently operate. The dortor put 3 knots in his hip and he recovered in the hospital for a month. After that, I took him to hospital to check his hip every month.

    I think we have to take care of family and myself by eating healthy foods first.

    Take care to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Praew and Aom,
    Thank you for your good intention, I'll tell my grandma to exercise more and eat healthy food for being strong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always think of my mum when I see or read about old people. She's 81 now, and like Preaw's grandmother, still in active and in good health. She goes lawn bowling most days, where she gets some exercise, and eats and gossips with her gang of other senior citizens. They also like to gamble a bit, but as long as she doesn't loose too much, I don't think that's a problem. She's also into politics: she likes being elected president of her local bowling club, and that seems to involve a deal of plotting, cajoling and perhaps a little bribing with lunches and dinners. But she's happy and enjoying life.

    She always thinks she's getting weak or silly, but I called last Sunday, and as usual, she sounded pretty much the same as she did 20 years ago. I hope she continues active and healthy for as long as Preaw's grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I'm trying to work out how to make the comments display in a more readable format. I thought I'd solved it a couple of days ago, but it seems to have reverted to the awful, cramped format that is not reader friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The effective way to maintain grandparents' health is that we let them gossip with their gang, and we should also let them complain about their weak body. As long as they can do so, we can be sure that they still healthy enough. Sometimes, you might ask your grandmother for a dinner meal because cooking for children makes her turn enthusiastic. I think grandmothers will be pound of themselves when we eat their cooking deliciously.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Plan,
    I ask my mum to cook me one of her traditional roast duck dinners when I visit every year. She always agrees, and invites lots of family - about 20 people.

    My brother and two sisters end up doing most of the actual cooking while mum entertains the grand kids, every now and then wandering into the kitchen to tell them how they should be doing it. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phas,

    This is very good article. It's very true that people don't want to retest bone density because of wasting their money. Results of retest don't change too much within one year. Most of the elderly follow up some important parameters in blood every year, which some parameter can greatly change within only 1 year. Most of people don't know what the suitable retest period of bone density is as in the article.

    Osteoporosis usually happened easily in elderly women because of dropping in useful hormones that play an important role in destroy or create bone mass. Moreover, pregnant period of women leads to osteoporosis. Bone can be destroyed easily because mom have to send calcium to baby,so make sure that every pregnant woman take enough calcium and vitamin D(help to absorb calcium into body) supplements in any forms- milk, tablets or effervescent tablet (put in water before drink.) ^^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Phas,
    My mom had an operation for her knee 2 years ago.
    Now,she has an artificial joint in her right knee.
    At that time, I thought that I would let her retest her health once a year. However, because my mom has always told us that everything including her knee is okay, so I totally forgot it.
    Thanks to your blog,I will call her tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Phas,
    I like your topic. It is interesting. I agree with all of you about exercise, eating healthy food and have social life. I want to add more information to prevent the aging. It is holistic approach. My mother-inlaw is doing threatment like chelation where you clean the blood, clean your interstine( I forgot the name, check food allergy and hormone. the last part is stem cell.
    Stem cell is becoming famoes now days.

    This friday I have to go the clinic to get more information for my own mother from Indoensia.
    When you do stem cell, it makes the body stronger and healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  11. by the way, you can look more information about stem cell in google.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.