Thursday 19 January 2012

Women with Painful Periods

In "Women feel pain more than men", the study shows us that the women feel pain much sooner than the men and are able to endure it for far less time (2005). Unfortunately, the evolution of human has given women  unavoidable pains every month. When women have periods, most of them suffer from dysmenorrhoea. However, I think this piece of news will make women more relaxed when they face the problem of period pains.

According to "The pill 'does ease period pain'", for some women, oral contraceptive pills may reduce their painful periods (2012, ¶1). After conducting a 30-year study, Dr. Ingela Lindh points out that more than half of young women have suffered from a condition of pain during menstruation. However, about thirty of those poor women consider this condition a "moderate" pain, not a "severe"one after using birth-control pills (¶8). The researcher also says that painful periods seriously harm our society because a lot of women cannot go to work when they have periods. Therefore, Dr. Lindh suggests that the European Medicines Agency should officially include oral contraceptives as a medical treatment of period pain.

I hope Dr. Lindth will be able to support his study so strongly that European Medicines Agency is convinced. Also, I hope he will continue doing his research and then find another kind of pill which is more effective. It may not just alleviate the pain, but can completely stop the painful periods. If it occurs, it will be a pretty good news for women around the word, especially my younger sister. When she has a period, she always has severe backache and wants to vomit all the time. Most importantly, she sometimes suffers from stomachache ,which makes her face look very pale. Besides my sister, I myself will be pleased with an improved version of Dr. Linfth's study because I find it difficult to deal with a woman having a period. My girlfriend, for example, gets angry more easily because of having menstruation. No matter what I do, it seems to go wrong. If I ask her how she feel, she will blame me on making her aware of her pain. In contrast, if I do not say anything, she will still blame me on my cool aloofness and heartlessness. Actually, she also feels annoyed about her emotional turbulence, but she cannot control it while having period.

Furthermore, I agree with Dr. Lindth that painful periods badly affect not only women themselves but also their society. Because of monthly pains, my mother being an enthusiastic teacher turns to be an unproductive one. She becomes easily fatigue and cannot give her exciting lecture to her students. If the pain increases, she sometimes has to take a break and heads to the medical room of her school. It seems the painful periods always interfere women's life and their working.

However, I think women can handle the problem of painful periods better than men. Although men have physical endurance greater than women, I think we cannot be tolerant towards severity every month. For me, many women have strongly mental endurance. Despite having painful period, my mom still goes to work.In contrast, if I have a bit headache, I will not hesitate to get up late and refuse going to work.

__________
References
The pill 'does ease period pain'. (2012, January 18). BBC News. Retrieved January 18, 2012 from  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16597692

Women feel pain more than men. (2005, July 4). BBC News. Retrieved January 18, 2012 from   http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4641567.stm

5 comments:

  1. Plan,

    Yes, that's right. It was totally funny. Why don't we choosing an article about men's health instead of women's. I'll comment on your article but not today,I mean tonight because tonight is today hahaha.

    see u tomorrow
    Pun

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plan,
    You seem to understand women's things.
    Like you, I hope this study can succeed soon.
    For a long time, we women have thought that the particular pain is our fetter which we have to endure. With the success of the pill, women can improve their lives individually and socially.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Plan,
    At first, I want to choose this article but I think it is not interesting for men. I surprise that you and Pun are interested in women period.

    For my experience, I used to take pain killer but I think it is not good for my health because I feel pain every month. But I found out that I drink warm or normal temperature water one week of my period before, my pain reduces.. I don't know why but drink a lot of normal temp. water is good for my period.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.