Sunday 29 January 2012

It is good to have ibook or not in your ipad?

Education is very important for everyone in this world today. Parents are willing pay so much money in order for their children to enter the school that they think is excellent. Many workers are doing the same things. For example, they will take courses in the morning or in the everning after working hours. Parents like moms some times they will go to course like english or mandarin while their kids in the school. That is happening to me now in AEP 5. When I read the topic from Economist " Difference engine: Let the games begin", I am thinking other tools that can help us today to imporve our learning beside in the class.

The Economist reports that In USA now, Apple company provides new way for publishers, teachers and writers to produce interactive texbooks with video, audio and 3D graphics that we can read by touching in the sreen in your ipad. Before that the user must download ibook2 from  ITunes, Apple online store. The students from primary and seciondary school who use it have higher score than the students only textbook in school. Students who can use this tool absolutely from middle class. "At the end of the year, 78% of pupils using the interactive text scored “proficient” or “advanced” on the California algebra test, compared with only 59% scoring likewise with the standard textbook."
Apple is improving not only in primary and secondary schools, but forall degree education as well. “That’s a rising tide that floats all boats,” notes Mr MacInnis. “The future of digital-learning content isn’t a book on a screen, but an engaging multimedia experience,” he says. In other words, the flat e-book is dead. Sorry, Amazon."

Although this is a good news for us as a user, other companies will have problem with their business in the future. I like to buy DVD from Amazon for my son who is 4 years old now. The things that I bought are concentrate for learning like phonics, math and science. Beside that I also bought puzzles, flash card or books that I can't have it in bangkok. After I understand the benefit from using smart phone, I bought Ipod and Iphone. They are become my partner in learning when I have to do my homework. My girl uses for dictionary. I am buying some games to improve James's skill for math, geography, phonics and mandarin.
To compare my spending in Amazon before and now, it is less. When I realized that Ipad can use for textbook in USA, I really want to buy ipad in the future. I hope I can buy textbooks that I need it for my girl. I bought used textbooks from Amazon now.

The are some reasons that I don't like from this tool. For example, before James uses Ipod or Iphone, he likes to do puzzles, flash card or other acitvities that use hand. He is attending Montessori that emphasize hands on. Children who do things like this can learn to be patient and concentrate. After using Ipod or iphone, he expect to get the result faster from coloring. If he touch blue spot, the picture turns to be blue. Whe he need to sit and do coloring, he need to color with his hand and the reult is not nice as in ipod. He is not patient and satified with this. NOw I only let him to use it when we need to wait in hospital or in the airplane and weekend.

What do you think do you think it is good for you to have ibook in Ipad or not?
I am so excited to hear from you in different angles.

References:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2012/01/future-teaching

1 comment:

  1. Mur,
    Your blog is very interesting to me because I have been thinking about this for a long time when the educational video tapes were popular in my country. After that, many other educational systems have appeared, encouraging numerous parents to choose them. My concerning is which one will be survive in the end, conventional systems or new technology systems? Are the new electronic systems more effective than traditional schooling system? Unfortunately,I don't have exact answers.However, despite the vague stage, I have two definite opinions about that. One is that traditional schooling system through which students are taught by same people is more desirable than by machines. The other is new technology educational systems will be developed tremendously and will have huge influences on people. Anyway,I prefer to face to face system when it comes to education.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.