Thursday 26 January 2012

Tablets, The Most Popular Devices


In the technology world these days, one of the most interesting devices is the tablet computers such as iPad, Samsung Galaxy Tab. With wider touching screen, it makes users convenient for using such devices. Also, E-reader devices are very popular because size is very small compared with real books. However, the devices cannot do some things that real papers or computer laptops can do.

According to Tablet and E-Reader Sales Soar in The New York Times, tablet computers and e-readers are very popular gift for adults. Owners of tablet computers in adults is dramatically increasing especially in highly educated people who have househole incomes more than $75,000 (2012, ¶ 6). Many of tablet computer companies tried to push sale of tablet computers, but, Apple iPad, which have the highest price, is still popular among consumers (2012, ¶ 9).Publisher, app developers ,libraries and tech companies are improving the ways to get benefit from increasing users (2012, ¶ 10)

I think tablet computers are very interesting devices for this modern day because such devices are very convenient to use. The device can do exactly what smart phones do, but the size of tablets makes the users easily to see contents in the tablets and press on the screen accurately. Unlike smart phones, users have to magnify every time to read contents or press on screen in a wrong position. Moreover, users can bring it with them anywhere. Size of the tablets is nearly the same as real books, so it can use as books without carrying any thick books.

Last year, I decided not to buy iPad2, which I would use it as books, because I still loved to read in the real papers. I can write whatever I like or make any note on papers which I cannot do on the tablets. It is true that there are some formats of document files that allow readers to highlight or add note on the document, but it is still slow and hard to use, and file format in Pdf (users cannot edit) is still popular among the readers.  After that, I bought computer laptop instead of iPad2 because it was more necessary for me.

Anyway, although I don’t have any tablets or e-readers for now, in very near future I am pretty sure that I will get one to help my life more convenient in communication and education. I cannot stand the popular trends of technology, so I will be another person who raises the sales.
__________
References

Julie Bosman (2012, January 22). Tablet and E-Reader Sales Soar. The New York Times. Retrieved January 23,2012 fromhttp://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/tablet-and-e-reader-sales-soar/?ref=technology

3 comments:

  1. Pun
    My idea is nearly same as you. last year I had strong desire to buy a tablet computer, because my closed friends using them, and they recommended me to get it.At last I decided not to buy it, because I didn't need it at that time. But I may use it in the near future in my work or study.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I'd never make the change from paper books to an eReader, but I haven't bought a paper book since getting my Kindle a few months ago.

    However, I don't normally carry it around, just using it to read in bed, so I'm not sure that I need a tablet computer yet, but I can certainly understand why so many love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was an article calling for even more use of technology in classrooms in The Economist a couple of days ago. Among other things, "Difference Engine: Let the Fun Begin" cites research showing that using interactive "textbooks" on iPads or other devices significantly improved student grades and understanding in mathematics. I also like the author's comments on and citing of Sir Ken Robinson's ideas on the very real value of making mistakes as an essential adjunct to the creative process, which should be an important aspect of a education. And we definitely do want to use erasers in our class so that "mistakes are expunged at the cost of creativity" ("Difference Engine", 2012, ¶ 13).

    An interesting read, with some provocative ideas not just about the use of technology in education, but teh nature and purposes of education itself.

    References
    Difference engine: Let the games begin. (2012, January 25). The Economist. Retrieved January 28, 2012 from http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2012/01/future-teaching

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.