Tuesday 8 January 2013

How do we live without Butter and Cream?

What's your favorite dish? Do you concern about nutritious or delicious or both?

In "Hold the butter", Gordinier said that SPE, "stand for Sanitas Per Escam", which means “health through food”, is new standard for healthy food in the United States, which is created the recipes by chef and dietitian, that cook with abundant of nutrients and low salt without cram and butter but still delicious; however, many chefs in restaurants, who never want to give up or change their cooking style and recipe, disagree with this standard . 

Actually, I don't want to read such a long article like this, but it's very interesting for cooking and eating lover like me. Since I was young, I always ate a piece of cake after back home because my mom used to be baker before. I really love my mom's cake with a lot of cream and butter. Though my mom isn't bake a cake for sale anymore, our family still spend weekend with baking some sweets. Sometimes I try to change our recipe to decrease butter or sugar, but my mom, who create the recipe, and my younger brother disagree with my ideas. They said that cake without butter and cream is not cake. 

My brother has said that butter isn't always a bad thing, but margarine is more dangerous from trans-fat, that cause of clogged in blood vessel. But why we concern about butter so much, if you eat it properly. Now there are many food additives that add in our food today. Sometimes I'm not sure when they label "NO MSG(Monosodium Glutamate)" because there is MSG in other sources of ingredients. Including farm animals and crops, they start to receive chemical and many pollutant from water or soil. If you are worried too much, you may be died from nutrition imbalance!! 

The better ways to be healthy is to eat food with nutrients - protein, carbohydrate, vitamins, minerals and fat- and to work out properly. By the way, I really interested in SPE menu, I want to try one. And I will tell you what it taste like.




Does it look yummy or awful?
______
Reference

1. Gordinier, J.(2013, January 7). Hold the butter. The New York Times. Retrieved January 8, 2013. from: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/09/dining/hold-the-butter-healthy-food-served-here.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hpw

2. Johnson, K. (2012, September 30)Understanding Trans Fat. WebMD. Retrieved January 8, 2013. from:http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/understanding-trans-fats

10 comments:

  1. Thank you Mo, it's an excellent first post to kick off this term's response blogging the news.

    I've also been a butter lover forever. When I was a child, among other things, we had a dairy farm, and although we didn't make our own butter, there was always fresh cream available daily, and some of it came back in the form of butter.

    I can't imagine my morning omelette not running in butter, and although I don't like milk, I often add a good dose of cream to my coffee.

    I like some of your other responses as well, but I'll let others respond before I say any more, except that I rather like the less tall Waygu burgers from the Chokechai Farm outlet at Siam Paragon - it's in the Paragon supermarket. They're probably not the healthiest things either, but ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I live without cream and butter, I will have lighter weight than this. ;)) Today I start my breakfast with a cup of coffee with cream and boiling rice, "Jok". It make me so happy with my only one day off.

      I really want to know what is the food that "are probably not the healthiest things either, but ...".

      Delete
  2. I agree with your mom's opinion sticking to the recipe. If you change the recipe, it will be another one that you have to rename it.

    I see many represented healty recipes of cakes as like made by Tofu and vegitable oil, but I didn't try it. Yah, experience says all.

    In Korean, there is a proberb:the ghost who is dead while he/she is eating has good looking. Many epicures in Korea say like that and eat without concerns about the bad effects of food. I love this. It takes care of the psycholgical aspects.

    Recently, I'm mad about olive oils and green soybeans. They have so beautiful tastes. Most fortunate thing is that they are considered as healthy food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also very glad that olive oil is said to be healthy. One of my favourite, very simple, snacks is to dip a bread into olive oil - quick, easy and delicious - but it must be a good extra virgin olive oil. Unfortunately, it also helps to build up my growing tummy. But like Katie, I'm not sure that that worth worrying about too much.

      Not sure about green soybeans, but I haven't tried them (I don't think).

      Delete
    2. I love your cookies that you baked last term. You are good at cooking. But I think the healthy recipe is sometimes bad taste.

      My mom who is vegetarian for many years, maybe around 15 years, has ability to turn tofu and vegetable to be a yummy dish. As a results, she gain weight from that. lol

      Delete
  3. I think that it would be uneasy for me to live with neither butter nor cream, especially when I am in the cold countries like UK, since they are both essential for my life. Although we've learned since we were young that humans need some nutrients that give them energy to do activities in their daily life, taking fat too much can cause many problems for our health. For example, my friend who was on a diet tried to eat salad everyday. However, she ate lots of creamy salad dressing and also drank coffee with sweetened condensed milk. As a result, her diet plan didn't work effectively and found that her blood sugar level was quite high.

    By the way, I agree with you and Katie that changing just a little bit of recipe makes foods taste different. My mother enjoys making cookies very much. Once she tried changing her recipe and the cookies weren't delicious like the original ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that either butter or cream are essential for life. In fact, I would probably be at least as healthy without them, and certainly my waist would not have grown so much the last few years.

      Similarly, meat is not essential for anyone in a developed country, or for anyone living in Bangkok, so that cannot be a reason for intentionally causing the deaths of animals as well do every time we eat meat.

      We eat meat for exactly the same reason that I eat cream and butter: a desire to enjoy the great taste, any health benefit is a minor consideration, and I think this is reasonable. (Taste is why there is cream in my coffee right now. And it's the reason my omelette will be swimming in butter a few minutes.)

      Delete
    2. I think butter and cream is one of lipid source, but there are many source of lipid that is healthier than cream and butter.

      I agree with Peter that taste is the main reason for us to still eat them.

      Delete
  4. Over ten years I have tried not to eat meat till few years ago I lived as a vesitarian still I try only to eat seafoods. When I decide it for the first time it was not easy to find dishes that fulfill my needs in taste and the ingediants. For a while I was worry about to eat out for my faith, but as time goes by it has been easier the proper foods for me and my taste might be changed; I really enjoy eating.

    As we getting age our health becomes our direct concern
    if it is necessary we can adjust the change I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't eat as much meat as I used to, but I do enjoy it. The reasons are a combination of health concerns, since the medical profession is strong agreement that most people in developed and developing nations eat far more meat than is healthy for them, and an unwillingness to cause suffering by supporting often cruel agricultural practices by buying meat. Buying meat is also a cause of killing since more animals will then be killed to replace the meat that was bought, which is why I think Buddhists today must generally not eat meat to follow their first precept, but killing animals is not a problem for me provided it is done painlessly. It is causing pain and suffering that seems to me the locus of the moral problem with eating meat.

      When I'm at home, eating my mum's duck and steak is no problem - all of our animals enjoy happy, free range lives until they are quickly and painlessly killed.

      I don't think there is any real benefit in wasting money on organic food for health reasons (if someone does have some reliable research showing that organic food is actually healthier, I am interested), but I do pay more for animals and eggs that come from free range, decent agricultural practices. That extra expense does seem worth paying to me, and it encourages more business people to produce those goods.

      Delete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.