Tuesday 25 September 2018

Alternative way of healthy eating

What I read

Plant vs Meat Protein
source : https://veganstreet.com
Refer to Dr. Michael Mosley in "Will going vegan make you healthier" (2018), a recent report together with the result of 10 previous studies claim that being vegan and vegetarians are healthier than omnivores as they decrease risk of heart disease and cancer. Mosley suggests that they should not be applied for the entire life, but we should allocate against being omnivores as well. Moreover, being vegan might make us lack of nutrition, e.g. vitamin D, vitamin B12 and Iodine, to prevent from it we must have a vitamin supplement. Key of balancing vegan with our life is to choose the recipes that is created for being vegan instead of changing the recipes that are normally eaten with meat into vegan version.


                                     ___________________________________ 

My response 

Sources of protein that I usually had
 when I went vegan
When I was in college, I’ve tried to find the most suitable way for me to lose weight as I was obese back then. I googled and read a lot of journals about nutrition, weight loss and alternative ways of healthy eating, then I found out “Vegan”. It was interesting as they were brand-new and many YouTubers claimed that the result of it was good. Therefore, I decided to try being vegan. I’ve been vegetarian for 2 years and 6 months for vegan, nonetheless, I have stopped because I found out it gradually ruined my life even my doctor supported me to go vegan for my entire life as claimed that it was beneficial. I was obsessed with it so much at that time, I chose what I'd eat and what would be a meat replacement for the regular recipes, googled the nutritional benefit of everything I ate to my body and did exercise hard to stay fit. However, the result was not as good as claimed. I was pale or sometimes yellowish with no clue, often fainted and easily fell. Even though my health check result was fine, it was written that I did not lack of neither vitamins nor minerals, I felt like my body still need something to replenish. It happened for a couple months, then I realized that were happened because I could not balance what I did and I needed to do some thing.

I didn’t oppose to what Dr. Michael says about how good the vegan is and do agree with his suggestion that being vegan should be allocated against omnivores because life should be balanced. I, however, think that vegan might not be the way of mine, I prefer being pollo-pescetarian, poultry and fish are edible, having more veggie, lessening processed foods to being vegan which consume only plant-based foods. After I could balance how I eat, now I have variety of foods, snacks, beverages but still be healthy and happy.
          
                                              ___________________________________ 

My question

Even if some Thais know that vegan is benefit for health, why doesn't it popular in Thailand ?
___________________________________ 

Reference

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Mon. Your summary includes only ideas in your source, none of your own ideas, and you have made good choices of what to include and not in your 127 word summary.

    Your response is also well done, and leads logically to your question for readers to respond to in comments.

    The format changed a bit from the standard that I set, but that's not a big problem.

    And as expected, you conclude with a correctly written reference citation so that readers can check your source if they are interested, which I was. I also wanted to check that everything in your summary is in the source, which it is. You clearly spent some time selecting the main ideas, and reorganizing them into a well-planned summary that makes them your work that properly cites their source. It's a very good example of a response to an article in the news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not directly related, but since the evidence suggests that a vegetarian, although perhaps not vegan, diet is healthier than a meat diet, is there any good reason that justifies the massive killing of animals every day for no better reason than to feed our desire for tasty animal flesh? I have to admit, I love duck, pork, beef and other meats from animals that I order killed when I buy them. But should I be doing this?

    And a related point is that it seems to me that the First Precept of Buddhism means that Buddhists should not normally (there are exceptions) eat meat for the same reason: buying meat is paying and ordering someone else to kill for you. It reminds me of a mafia boss who says, "I didn't kill anyone," which might be true, but he's also responsible for the deaths because he ordered and paid his hit-men to kill them for him, like the recent case in Thailand where the brother of a Thai woman paid other people to kill his sister and her rich husband. I think that people who do this are still guilty of killing, even if they did not pull the trigger themselves.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.