Wednesday 26 September 2018

What I read

The BBC News article "Anni Albers and the forgotten women of the Bauhaus" reports that, although Bauhaus has known as a forward-thinking design school of the inter-war era, it has a contradictory idea about woman as a designer. The number of woman staffs is less than 20% and women were barred from the 'considered' masculine subjects such as glasswork and metalwork. Anni Albers is among very few woman designers that are being seen for their innovative contribution to the design of the modernism. She started reluctantly at Bauhaus with textile design that she didn't aim for when she applied but in turn successfully made her gain reputation. Because of modernism attention is on architecture which had seen as discipline for men, women took a great move to textile discipline men wouldn't do.
___________________________________ 


My response 





The title of this article attracted me because I'm not familiar with any women names that has a connection with Bauhaus. Normally, mentioning about Bauhaus, I would think of Walter Gropius (founder of Bauhaus), Mies Van Der Rohe (architect) or László Moholy-Nagy (photographer). Thinking about Bauhaus, it made me think of the phase ‘form follow function’, the very modernism idea and with some reasons it made me think of ‘male’ vision. But I’m not sure about the exact reason why modernism made me think of masculinity rather than femininity. Why rationality quality belongs to men and irrationality quality belongs to woman.

Is it because in western, all the cultural movement has been set by male?

Thinking about art and design movement in (western) history, it’s true that more male artists and designers are mentioned. And it’s natural to talk about the work of male which connects to any subjects, not specifically point to only the subject of ‘masculinity’. But when talking about female artists or designers, it often connects with gender; female physical, mental or organic shape and forms. Why to be distinct as an artist or designer, women have to do something that men can’t do or can’t understand. Why women have to raise the subject like motherness to work with, why we have to be irrational in creating an artwork and why women have to create organic shapes and draw only fluid lines.

However, subconsciously and intentionally, I’m often drawn to the artworks by female artists. Subconsciously, by visual, I may be programmed to recognize some elements women often produced. Intentionally, by ideas, I want to know better the thoughts behind their works as the same gender.

For example, I was drawn to the sculptural works and drawings of Louise Bourgeois. For me, her works express the sense of femininity that I once appreciated. But lately, I started to question a lot about feminine quality in artworks. So, now I’m a bit skeptical about her success that does she take an advantage of being women in exchange.

For Anni Albers, I like that her work has no connection with the physical of women and her life tragic (according to this article). Only that she barred from glassworks class from school doesn’t make her revenge by express herself as a woman on her textile design. Even though, she chose more subtle way in against the rule of Bauhaus ‘form follows function’ by making decorative wall hanging textile without any function (but it doesn’t mean irrational, she incorporate her experience into her design according to this article). I’m personally impressed by her way of resistance to masculinity.

Lucky that I don’t struggle in the issue of gender discrimination like Anni Albers had as a designer. No oppression in the field of my profession that I face these days. Though, my struggle is on the issue of feminine style ideology rather than social factor. I prefer to work neutrality to femininity and not to take advantage from the femininity subject to get attention.
___________________________________ 

My question

1. Do you agree that textile design is a feminine subject?
2. Are there still gender discrimination in any professions?
3. Do we really able to remove the ideology about 'feminine' and 'masculine' style out of art?
4. Do you think you are feminist? What does it mean to be feminist?
___________________________________ 

Reference

  • Dominic Lutyens (2018, September 20). Anni Albers and the forgotten women of the Bauhaus. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20180919-anni-albers-and-the-forgotten-women-of-the-bauhaus.

2 comments:

  1. As I read jean's responses again, it made me think of my own major area of interest, philosophy, where men have also been dominant since it began. There were some exceptions, even in ancient times, but women such as the late fourth century philosopher and mathematician Hypatia, who the viciously anti-rational Christians tortured to death, were always exceptions.

    Today, there are many women doing excellent work in philosophy, but when I made the effort to think of famous living philosophers, it was men who came to mind before such women as Mary Midgly and Martha Nussbaum. I'm not sure whether this says something about the practice of philosophy or something about me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I know almost nothing about the Bauhaus movement, so found Jean's clear explanation of that very instructive.

      Delete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.