Saturday 29 September 2018

What I read

 Marijuana, known by South Africans as “Dagga”, is now legalised by the highest court of their country. This topic caught my attention as I was trying to find one to summarize, respond and discuss with my friend. According to https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-45559954, Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo said that it would not be a criminal offense for an adult to be in possession of cannabis in private for his or her personal consumption. He also said that it would be illegal to consume in public, and to sell and supply it. However, the court did not specify the quantity of cannabis that a person can grow or use in private which makes the law seems unclear and inefficient.

___________________________________ 

My response 

From my experience, I have been told that marijuana is an addictive drug and is illegal to possess or use it. But last year, one of my teachers told me that marijuana wasn’t a dangerous drug and that was the reason why many countries in europe had legalised it. I searched for informations from many websites to find out whether it was or not. As a result, marijuana is not quite dangerous compared to cigarettes because it is less addicting and contains less harmful chemicals.

    In my personal opinion, I think that South Africa’s highest court shouldn’t legalise cannabis use. It worsens many South Africans’ quality of life due to the fact that the majority of south africans are considerably poor, if they could purchase or consume it legally, many of them would spend their money to buy it and end up poorer causing higher crime rate

    I disagree the idea of smoking marijuana instead of cigarettes although it is less addicting. I think that not trying any addictive drugs is the best way to live our lives because it saves money, reduces criminal activities and makes us live healthier. But I support cannabis for medical use because the hospitals only give it to the patients at a small quantity which won’t make them get addicted.

___________________________________ 

My question

If you were the one who could legalise cannabis/marijuana use, would you do it? Why?
___________________________________ 

Reference

  •     (18 September 2018). South Africa’s highest court legalises cannabis use. Retrieved from https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-45559954

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.