Wednesday 9 October 2013

Balance Your Time

Do we spend too many hours to work today? The idea of work less but gain more seems to be the thinking of the lazy man. However, there are some interesting researches that show the number of working hours decrease noticeably across developed countries.

According to “Working hours, Get a life” in The Economist, it points out the interesting fact from the OECD- a club of rich countries-that while in 2012 people in developed countries worked fewer hours than 1990, their works were more productive. Moreover, some researchers suggest people to work moderately not only for being healthy but also being able to create the great work.

From my point of view, there are a lot of successful people who dedicate themselves to their work and they gain a high position, great works, and good reputation. And of course, it means that they give the most of their time for working. Some may see them as a workaholic but I think there are significant different between the one who work like a crazy and the one who crazy in love with their job. When you have a passion and fall in love with your job, it can take all 24 hrs from yours and you are happy with that. If you have the happy things to do like you think you born to do it, why don’t you lose your time with other things. Frankly, I envy this type of people because I know the power of passion and love that can change the world. For example, Steve Jobs who devoted himself to his Apple company then he created the phenomenal products that change the behavior of most people around the world.

Moreover, the right measurement to decide how many hours to spend on work is happiness. I think happiness is vital for your healthy life. By the way, people has a different kind of factor that causing happiness; for illustrate it, if you happy with leisure time than working, you should spend your time on that; however, there are more importance factors that you must consider, such as if you have a financial problem but you love to chitchat with friend, you should manage the time to balance your life on both side.
__________

Reference

C.W. and A.J.K.D. (2013, September 24). Working Hours, Get a Life. The Economist. Retrieved October 8, 2013 from http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2013/09/working-hours

5 comments:

  1. I read this a week or so ago in The Economist, and am glad to see Noina blog it.

    One thing I found interesting in the source is the opening comments based on philosopher Bertrand Russell's essay "In Praise of Idleness". That title grabbed me when I was a young uni. student. At the time, I was also spending hours daily on Russell's contributions to mathematics and logic, and then those of the brilliant Kurt Gödel. My other loves were moral philosophy and a couple of dead languages - but as Russell and The Economist's writer point out, those daily hours of "work" were not work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And like Noina, I also like to see passion in others, even if it's not a passion I can share. A couple of my friends are passionate about films and sci-fi TV programs like Star Wars and Dr. Who, which, although I loved them as a child, I can't get quite that excited about, but these passions clearly add something of value to the lives of others, just my mother's passion for gardening and the high political drama of winning the presidency of her local bowling club again have surely contributed to keeping my mother active and involved with the world into her eighties. I have zero interest in lawn bowling, except to make jokes about it at my mother's expense, and my interest in gardening is pretty much limited to the fruits it produces, even though I did love growing things as a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I am happy for you to blog on your passions, on the things that excite you.

      Delete
    2. Although I could not share it, Joan Sallas's passion, as related by himself in the video which accompanies "The Art of Folding Napkins" did amaze me when I saw it on the BBC News yesterday.

      Delete
  3. I've just noticed what boring display names The Economist's blog authors have. But they're doing better than regular writers for The Economist, almost all of whose articles are published without the author being identified.

    In a recent article, celebrating its 170th anniversary, this venerable magazine explains the traditional reasons behind why it does not use author bylines ("Why Are?", 2013).

    Reference
    Why are The Economist’s writers anonymous? The Economist explains itself. (2013, September 4). The Economist, The Economist explains. Retrieved October 9, 2013 from http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2013/09/economist-explains-itself-1

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.