Saturday 19 January 2019

Wan's academic interests

I am interested in many fields, for example, history, economics, renewable energy, business, startups, social enterprise, economic development and economic policy.

I would like to introduce my first interest is economics. I studied economics during 2010-2014. What I have been knowing about this field prior to the study is just about supply and demand. However, the subject has covered wide range of topics such as political economics, development economics, financial economics or even natural resource economics. My professors inspired me a lot since most of them graduated from well-known schools in the US and UK. The strong point that makes economics differed from other subjects in humanity is quantitative analysis which requires tremendous mathematics skill. However, since I am not that into mathematics, so I decided not to pursue Master degree in Economics. Rather, I put my interest to be more on business side and social enterprise which is somehow related to economics as well.

Regarding my interest in business, it came from the fact that I think if I studied business, I would get rich which is not true in my case. Business in academia is different from business in reality. However, it still interests me in the sense that business can also drive economic growth and alleviate the poverty. Since then, I decided to shift my focus to be more on social enterprise where I think it can narrow down the gap between the poor and the rice. Moreover, it can create jobs and generate income for small-scale business. One of my most favorite examples comes from soft loan with zero interest provided to poor people in India. This business belongs to one of the foundations and it can expand opportunity for the poor to generate small-scale businesses and live on their own. Hence it is very important to expand this kind of business to help poor people in local community. My next intention is to find out more information regarding the social enterprise opportunity in Thailand in order to create one that impacts the society and alleviate the poverty.

Recently, my interest has just come across the renewable energy (RE). RE helps reduce greenhouse gas emission and combat climate change. It needs to be promoted in Thailand since the pollutant is increasing and climate change started affecting lives of people, especially in agriculture sector. My main concern is how to remove barrier that hinder the accelerated actions in renewable energy sector in Thailand, in particular, bureaucracy and unclear policy. It would be great if Thailand can take examples from international practices such as Europe or Australia how the countries can achieve higher target of RE.

4 comments:

  1. I heard many times about social enterprises. It seems a hot issue around the world for years. As well in Thailand, several universities are encouraged to open this program for new enrolled students recently. Many companies launched their policy to dedicate for society according to the stream (eg. donation for children, building habitat). Some of them steps out to decribe how their role can support local. However, personally, I do not think it is feasible here definitely if we do not reset some existing economic systems ignored by the government. It does not seem those companies are sincere to concern society rather than tax refund, hooking up with stockholders or gaining their stock value, personally. For example, recently having a hot issue about which 7-11, convenient stores have made-by-order foods available on some areas, people said they hurt food stalls. Every year we hear about their donation to farmers-related society or stepping into support small-/ micro-community enterprises whereas everyday they expand their business, and become a monopoly on market, especially in which agricultural section of their seriously affects locals, then gradually takes control over the whole market. Eventually, small-/ micro-scaled businesses by those locals would be gone because of this ironic disruption. For this reason, social enterprise could help society effectively, really? By the way, hopefully, we would have a solution to this problem in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wan. I think your academic interests are very interesting. It seem like you are focusing more on the part of social enterprise. However, I still have a question; How does the economic reduce the gap between the poor and rich people? How do we measure that the poor people have a better quality of their life? If we talk about GDP, this might not be able to say that the poor people's life has been improved. When we say the GDP is increased, this might because we have more wealthy people and the gap might be increased also. However, I really like the idea that we can have many ways to help paupers. This is very impressive. I wish you success in your intentions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm learning about the renewable energy by myself it is very interesting. So I would like to share academician's idea that I have read. Pollutants that released from agriculture sector could be decrease by don't burn agricultural land because it's not only reduction soil structure but also loss of nutrients. The best way for reduce pollution emission from this sector should be let grass straws decompose by itself because nutrients will not loss which the farmers can save expenses on fertilizer and save soil microbial life that can improve the soil structure. However, this might be supported by the government of Thailand with strong policy.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.