Saturday 17 November 2018

Peter - drawn back to the cloisters

I had many happy memories of my years at Sydney University, but had not visited for many years until on my annual visit to Australia two years ago, I was drawn back to the buildings where I had spent five years of my youth. As usual, I was having an early breakfast of bacon and eggs at a small cafe in front of Sydney Harbour after the train trip into the city from the airport. I do this every year. It's a nice welcome back to Australia to enjoy bacon and eggs with a view of Sydney's iconic bridge and harbour. I also like bacon and eggs. As I was eating them two years ago, and wondering what to do until it was time to catch my connecting flight in the evening to the north coast, where my family live, I though of Sydney University, and decided that I would like to wonder the old sandstone buildings again where I had studied philosophy, argued with my professors and fellow students, and enjoyed many pleasant days. There was also Fisher Library and the fascinating mummies and other relics in the museum. Getting there was no problem, except that I wasn't sure if the same bus services would still be running. When I was a student, I would walk from the university to the city, but these days I'm not so energetic. I could have taken a taxi, but decided that the bus trip would be part of reliving the old days, so I set off to the bus stop, only to realize that I didn't know where the nearest bus stop was. I hadn't taken a Sydney bus for more than ten years! Asking a couple of people quickly solved this problem, and I was shortly on the way in the same old bus number 421, although it was a more modern version than the ones I used to take back in the late 1970 and early 80s.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.