Saturday 29 February 2020

Is a lab grown diamond better than a mined diamond?

Summary 

Lab grown diamond process
In "The sparkling rise of the lab grown diamond" (2020), it tells us that the sales of mined diamonds are currently declining as a result of environmental problems and human rights issues. The mined diamonds cause soil erosion, water pollution and massive carbon footprints from their process. Many diamond mining violate human rights by paying low wages and creating unsafe working conditions. The transparency of the origin of mined diamonds can be unclear after cutting and polishing process. They may come from an illegally armed group. Unlike the lab grown diamonds, they are made in the lab and they create less carbon footprints because they use renewable energy. They are also cheaper than mined diamonds. Therefore, the popularity of lab grown diamonds have increased by humanitarian consumers and shop owners who are new generation people.

____________________________________ 

Response 

This story makes me curious about the world perspective towards lab grown diamonds and how it became more popular. I enjoy this reading because it tells you what lab grown diamond is and how it is more sustainable to the world. However, it gives more information than I expected. It tells us the despicable stories behind mined diamonds and their impact on the world.  As diamonds are valuable and desirable for people around the world, many companies in the mined diamonds industry ignore environmental problems and human rights. 

'Blood Diamond' film (2006)
Since I watched Blood Diamond many years ago, I feel terrible for people who work in the diamond mines. I read some stories behind mined diamonds and I was sad how the most beautiful things have the saddest stories behind. I question myself if it is really worth the life of an innocent worker for your precious stones on your body.

However, after I read this story on the BBC website, it is a good sign from people in my generation. They are concerned about the consequences of their choices to the world. From my perspective, the price of lab grown diamonds is not the only reason why they buy their diamonds. Currently, people take environmental issues seriously in their life as they want to build a better world for their children. People choose lab grown diamonds because they want to create environmental sustainability and human rights. A great example is Leonardo DiCaprio. He chose a beautiful lab grown diamond engagement ring for his girlfriend. 

People can learn the truth about mined diamonds and realise its problems. However, some people still prefer mined diamonds because of how it was naturally made over 1 billion years ago. Also, good quality mined diamonds can make profitable value in the future. It is not wrong to buy mined diamonds, but people should be carefully choosing conflict-free diamonds from ethical companies.

Therefore, lab grown diamonds is an alternative way to buy diamonds. People can help ending labour exploitation in diamond mining.

  
____________________________________ 

Question

Do you prefer lab grown diamond or naturally-mined diamond?

____________________________________ 

Reference

3 comments:

  1. Your title catch my curiosity once I read it. Suddenly,one verse from Marilyn Monroe's song pop up in my head. Which is "Diamond are girl's best friend". To say it frankly, I don't mine if a guy would propose me with a diamond ring. I feel ashamed to admit that I am a materialism girl but if I could sell it in the future with a good price, It would worth for an investment. After I read the article and talked with you a little more about how a lab grow diamond made and you also acknowledge me how mine diamonds making process cause underage labor problems then my eyes are wide open. Now I concern about the human right and also environment problem behind mine diamond process.

    From now on I would support a lab grown diamond. As it is an Eco-friendly and respect on human right issues. However, I have to work harder for saving more money to spend for my Lab Best Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read Naam's response, I was sure that the diamond industry must have loved Marilyn Monroe's famous song about diamonds, and in turn, that reminded me of Madonna's song "Material Girl", but those were not my own first ideas as I read Mae's thoughtful blog post.

    I also enjoyed the movie Blood Diamond starring Leonardo Dicaprio. Maybe it's time I watched it again — I think it's on NetFlix now, so perhaps this evening would be good.

    I really liked Mae's question. As I thought about it, I couldn't think of any good reason to prefer natural diamonds over humanmade ones, but I'm sure many people still want the natural one. I think that there is a prejudice in favour of natural things over artificial things, but that seems a bit irrational to me. The diamonds are identical chemically and physically, and since the human product is less harmful to the environment, and does not contribute to enriching evil people, it seems obvious that we should choose the human products not the ones made by nature.

    And nature often seems pretty nasty. The Covid-19 virus, like every other killer disease, is perfectly natural, just like earthquakes, floods, and other awful things.

    I wonder why some people think that natural things are bette than artificial or humanmade things? For example, which is better: natural rice, or golden rice, which is genetically engineered by humans to give it more nutrients?

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.