Monday 24 February 2020

Fine Art in Film Industry

Summary 

In “The artistic wizard who brought Oz to life” (Brocklehurst, 2020), George Gibson was the scenic artist who designed iconic sceneries for Hollywood’s legendary films such as The Wizard of Oz (1939), An American in Paris (1951), Brigadoon (1954). However, as he worked on producing backdrops for these famous films, he was not acknowledged on his works. Before he died in 2001, George who was Scottish artist had worked as the head of scenic design department at Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer which was a well-known film studio in America for 30 years. His backdrops for filming were so realistic that people did not know that the setting were hand-painted sceneries. As, recently, The Art Directors Guild started collecting many backdrops during George’s times, his daughter, Jean Gibson-Gorrindo, would like her father’s works to be recognized for his contribution to film industry.
________________ 

Response 

From George’s brief profile, I found that a student of fine art department can work for a big company as a scenic artist. I think he would be happy to do what he loved for a living. I studied drawing and painting at school and continued my training until I finished high school. Because my mom suggested me to study business at university so I was busy with subjects such as math, economics, accounting, and IT—I finally stopped drawing and painting. I just started working on my art project at the end of last year and I felt more relaxed at work. I got an advice from one of my colleagues that art can cure my anxiety and stress from work and I think it is true. At my full-time job, I usually deal with tight deadlines and it never stops. If I were Mario video game, I would have to fight with many challenges from stages to stages. I got chronic shoulder pain and neck pain last year. I went to see a doctor and he said that this happened from stress and anxiety. Sometimes, people cannot notice symptoms by themselves when they are tried and stress. I have no idea why I was able to be on the status for years. I read some article about neurosciences and I found that people need to balance their brains by doing activities that allow them to use the two sides of their brains—left hemisphere and right hemisphere. At my work, I use my left hemisphere to do calculation, discussion, and writing reports—I am obsessive by lots of thoughts. So at home or at weekends, I spend my times all day with my art project including painting and playing keyboard—in this way, I can stop thinking and get my right hemisphere to exercises. It works and I love it.


For me, career as a scenic artist is interesting, but people usually forget how important of their works are. The situation had happened with the visual effects artists of Life Of Pi (2012). At the time, the movie was successful and the producer of the film whose name is Ang Lee received Oscar award. He did acknowledge most of his production teams such as the actors, the lawyers, the agent, but he failed to give credits on the hard works of the visual effect artists and he got lots of criticisms from the professionals in the industry. I think some people may give a few values on art and I think art is quite difficult to indicate values or prices on it. I was born in a Chinese family where my parents and my relatives were busy with their business on selling agriculture products. So they are not people who love art.
____________________________________ 

Question

What about you? Do you think how important of art for businesses?

____________________________________ 

Reference

1 comment:

  1. Since the BBC tells us that Steven Brocklehurst is the author of her chosen article, Emma has correctly written that first in her APA style reference citation that gives readers all the information we need to find her source. She has correctly written his name as Brocklehurst, S.

    And because that name, Brocklehurst, is the first piece of information in the reference citation, Emma also tells us that piece of information in the (parenthetical) citation in her summary paragraph, which is a common academic style. Alternatively, Emma could have told us the author's name in her first sentence by writing, for example:
    In "The artistic wizard who brought Oz to life", Steven Brocklehurst (2020) says that ....". Both styles are correct and common in academic work.

    Thank you Emma for the excellent example.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.