Monday 15 June 2009

What makes a good dictionary?

As I mentioned in class this morning, I regularly use three different English dictionaries. The one I normally use is the Oxford English Dictionary [OED], which I use in the online version. I printed out the OED entry for the word academic from there this morning, which gave us the definition: "Of or belonging to an academy or institution for higher learning" (academic, 1989, 2.a.). I access this online, so if I'm at my computer, or at any computer with Internet access, it's easy and convenient for me to check a word.
However, sometimes I'm sitting down reading a book, and then it's more convenient to use a book to check something. For that, I use the Concise Oxford English Dictionary, which is much smaller than the OED. The Concise OED is a large book, but it's only one volume. The printed version of the OED is 20 very large volumes that take up almost 3 metres on the bookshelves; it is not very convenient to use. I also have the electronic version of the Concise OED installed on my computer, and I sometimes check a word in that.
Finally, the other dictionary I occasionally check is the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary. This is a popular dictionary with students, so I sometimes check a word there to see what the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary says about it. As with the OED, I access this online. Unlike the OED, access to the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary is free; there is a link to it from our AEP class blog. Have a look in the "Useful Links for AEP students" on the right. The Cambridge dictionary only lists two definitions for the adjective academic, and the first one is the one we wanted this morning. It defines academic as "relating to schools, colleges and universities," (academic (studying), 2008), which is very similar to the OED's definition A.2.a.
__________
References
academic, a. and n. (1989) The Oxford English Dictionary. (2nd ed.). OED Online. Oxford University Press. Retrieved June 15, 2009, from http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/entry/50001026
academic (studying). (2008). Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary (3rd. ed.). Cambridge Dictionaries Online. Cambridge University Press. Retrieved June 15, 2009 from http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=397&dict=CALD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.