Thursday 12 November 2009

A Dark Side of Progress?



I was wondering about what it is about when I saw the title of this article “China ‘running illegal prisons” in BBC News.

The article said that there are many illegal prisons in Beijing, China. It’s called black jail. China Government doesn’t admit this but there are some reports from the people who were kept in prison. This happens to the ordinary people suddenly. It’s something like kidnap because people are caught in the street and taken to the black jail without reason. They can be confined for months and treated badly such as beating, raping. Human Rights Watch interviewed 38 victim of this case and they said that “I asked why they were detaining me, and as a group [the guards] came in and punched and kicked me and said they wanted to kill me” (“China ‘running illegal prisons”, 2009, ‘punched and kicked’ ¶ 4). There is also a case that a 20 years old lady was raped in the black jail. “The national government department is supposed to help” these people to solve this problem and indemnify them but when these people are detained by the plainclothes security officers. (¶ 7)

What is happening on the world today? How come don’t many worse things stop happening? What’s going on? I’m expecting to see the solution of China government for this problem. This reminds me about what my uncle told to me a few days ago that “you can’t live in the society that trust is not existent”. I’m waiting to see how the China government rebuilt trust in citizens.



References

Michael Bristow (12 November, 2009). China running illegal prisons. BBC News. Retrieved November 12, 2009 from

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8356095.stm




No comments:

Post a Comment

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.