Tuesday 10 November 2009

Peter's Academic Interests

My academic interests have changed a little over time, but fairly consistently in a couple of directions. Today, I continue to read philosophy, mainly ethics and epistemology, but also other areas of philosophy. When I was at university, one of my major areas of interest was logic, studying people like Frege, Cantor, Godel, and so on. I think that I liked the absolute (?) certainty that was possible in logic, which was even more certain than mathematics. At university, I also continued to study mathematics for three years.
Maths had been my favourite subject in the last couple of years of high school, having replaced physics, which had supplanted chemistry, which had taken over from biology. I also enjoyed English in high school, but found it far more difficult than the sciences and mathematics. Writing sentences wasn't difficult, but writing good sentences, and joining them all up effectively was very difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.