Friday 14 January 2011

Avoid sitting long period

How often do you have break time? and how long have you sat at your desk for a day or every day? When I saw the title., I confused about meaning of regular. Our lives have actions that are eating, sitting, sleeping and standing etc. When I read the article 'Taking regular breaks from desk ' good for the heart'', I worried about my students. I think sitting on their desk is the longest action.

According to the article, we should have lot of tomes to avoid sitting long time. To have break times is good for our health. If we sit down for long times without taking break, it could be bad for health. Dr. Genevieve Healy said that if we have just little standing time, it could help to our health. And the article gives some practical tips to help for health. There are standing to take phone call and meeting, walking of office, and taking the stairs.

When I was young, my teacher ordered me sitting at my desk more long period. He said it could help your concentration . I remember at that time I tried to sit at my desk even there was break time. I didn't worry about my waist circumference. But sometimes I felt backache. My school had 50 minute studying time, after then 10 minute for taking break times. I agree with the article. Taking breaks from sitting at a desk is good for our health and waistline. And it could give us more fresh ideas. But I wonder that how often we get the time for breaks for our health. The article said that "Stand up, move more, more often" but if I do like as suggestion of the article. I worry about my concentration. Even when I teach my student, I order them sitting long period for focus of their studying. Yes I know health is more important than concentration. But I wonder that how often people get the break form a desk for the best? or doesn't if affect to pay attention to their works or studying? How about your opinions?
__________
References
Taking regular breaks from desk 'good for the heart'(2011, January 12). BBC New. Retrieved 13 January, 2011 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12166478

7 comments:

  1. I spent long time for posting. I couldn't fine "Remove formatting" tool. so I wrote on the blog box aging but when I saw my writing preview, it had some problems about type of word. it didn't change. is it my computer problem? or not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice article and comments Ari,
    Do you think we should have more frequent breaks in our class?

    I try to do different things in class so that we're not doing the same thing for too long - some group work, then some class discussion, then some individual or pair work for a bit, or a good mix of both. (I wasn't happy that we spent so long sitting in isolated chairs in room 201 this morning, but I did want to cover the most important things needed to start blogging with some confidence.)

    Your post is a good balance of introduction + summary, and then a response. And it's all clear and easy to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ari,
    What browser do you use?
    I use Google's Chrome at home, with Windows Vista as the operating system. Sometimes I use Firefox, and I think it works the same.

    If others are having problems, please let me know, and I'll see if I can get some answers, but no guarantee. I'm not a computer expert.

    In case your wondering why I'm replying so quickly, I've been out and just got in. I was making a final check before going to bed.

    I'm looking forward to a day off tomorrow, even though I have a bit of work to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your students are Okay. They can take a break every 50 min. when I was a school student, I had a same time table in a class and I’m still healthy... How about a long flight? Though only few people take plane regularly, people who are especially in the economy class are forced to sit on small narrow seats for a long time... Some exercises are introduced on the plane, but how we can exercise while person next to you is sleeping! If you sit a window seat, even going to toilet is hard... It is obviously bad for our health.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I feel worried about AEP class Haha, even if Peter confirms that our class have a mix between various activities. I think Peter should teach in garden like ancient class room. I believe that is good for student health.

    I like you article Ari and I am worry a little bit for white collars who have to sit all days; however for your student, I think it is ok, and I like see the pianists who sit with straight backs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your post, Ari. I agree with Peter. It is easy to understand and also attractive to read to the end.

    I think focusing on something is very important and taking a break is to refresh yourself as well as taking a nap, I think. It is very good to give your students a break after they intend in the class. But I wonder how many minutes are appropriate for a break or focus to different students. For me, I like 15 minutes for a break and 1 hour focusing on reading a textbook. How many minutes do you prefer?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poome!!!

    Are you serious?? To study in the Garden.
    How can we find the garden in AUA?

    Anyway, Thanks Ari for your article. When Peter give us break time, I will stand and go outside the room for refreshing myself.

    I agree with Preaw's idea (@January 14, 2011 11:22 PM). After using for a long time in the class, the students should take break time to refresh their brain. I think if the students study without taking a break, their will be too tried and cannot get the information from the teacher well.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.