Friday 21 January 2011

From Abidjan to Bangkok.



Do you think that the political conflict in Thailand is so violent for you? If we look beyond the last 5 years, Thai people have faced many severe political incidents so that can be considered as the most violent moment during 20 years period. Now, Ivory coast is confronting much much more brutal and irrational conflict than Thailand because Ivory coast people now have two presidents and two governments. How could it happen?


According to the article Pro-Gbagbo forces attack UN vehicles in Ivory Coast from the BBC News , Mr.Laurent Gbagbo, former Ivory coast president, has refused to admit defeat after the presidential election in November, in which UN approved his rival, Alassane Ouattara as the new president. Mr.Gbagbo sent his regular and irregular troops to attack UN vehicles in largest and important port city, Abidjan. Two vehicles were destroyed, with two people injured, said a spokeman. Last month, Mr Gbagbo ordered all foreign peacekeepers to leave the country immediately, but the UN has refused to recognise his authority to make such decisions.

When I first saw this picture in the article, I thought that it was a terrorist achievement. After I read the article, I was really surprised with the content about the cause of this situation. Once again that laws and people rights ignorance are the origin of the conflict but this time it is more serious when the man who controls military and courts has been denied the election result. You may saw this two institutions always involved in many significant events, especially, in Thailand. Who are going to dare with guns and laws? Perhaps, the one important problem of Mr. Gbagbo is he hasn't done it neatly as the recent Thai government has been doing. He shouldn't have proceeded the election but stimulated military forces to make a coup de'tat. Then use the constitutional council to eliminate rival parties. He should have consulted Thai government about to maintain a half democracy and complex power of political structure. Dr.Kanit Na Nakorn said that "Humans can live their life by just two things which are foods and justice" which is so true. A reason that keep Thai people still be patient to the serious common rights ignorance might be because their belly are still full. I think if people are hungry under super double-standards, many more severe riots might be occurred easily. King Louise the sixteenth might not have been executed, if there was enough bread for every French at that time. Although I prefer democracy, I'd like our country to decide which administration we really want to have; democracy, feudalism, dictatorship or absolute monarchy. If it is democracy, I want it be the full one with my full rights not a half or a quarter one. But if it is anything else, so I will be able to prepare for desperate leaving my beloved country and let those power hungers divide this tiny cake.

__________
References

Pro-Gbagbo forces attack UN vehicles in Ivory Coast. (2011, January 14).
BBC News.Retrieved January 20, 2011 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12187805

5 comments:

  1. I like what Dr.Kanit Na Nakorn said "Humans can live their life by just two things which are foods and justice" and yes, it's true. I agree with you that our country should have a full administration and I also prefer democracy. However, I'm not sure that everyone really understands what democracy is. Anyway, if we won't have it, are you really going to leave Thailand? I'll miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry Bow if you miss me much, you can meet me at a refugee camp in the third country. But Would you bring with you 100% Arabica coffee beans for me? Oh! grounded one is sound better so I won't have to use a mortar. I think there will not be any blender at the camp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bow,
    If you would like an opportunity to correct some common misunderstandings of what the word democracy means, there are two on the list of essay questions for you choose from.

    I've written an essay to answer the question about Bush's election, and would welcome other ideas about democracy, either in an answer to that question or the one about Abhisit's government.

    Alternatively, you are welcome to share your ideas here, or do both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Peter. It's interesting and I'm thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For my opinion, you wrote your respondance interestingly because some arguments that you rose in this respondance is useful for our nation. Indeed, the stability of political situation can help nation growing rapidly, however nowadays Thailand are facing the instability of political situation. There are a number of reasons that have been put forward for answering why the potical in Thailand is weak, but the most important reason , I feel, is Thai people are lack of knowledge.

    It cannot be denied that most developing countries often have political problems. Most of political problems are caused by the conduction of political elite. Those do not follow the rule and often try to find the way to gain benefit from their powerful position. As a result of this, they try to secure their political position as long as they can. They know that if people have not much knowledge, people cannot think to overthrow their power. What I want to say here will be incomplete because I have to go to class today. So, tonight I will continue to write my comment again. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.