Thursday 27 January 2011

Poor sleep, poor life


How many hours do you sleep or need to sleep per night? How often do you think that you don't have enough sleep? We have heard that we should sleep six to eight hours a night. However, if we can't sleep for that long, what will happen? We will be sleepy, that's right but could you imagine that lack of sleep will lead to much more serious problems in your life? You may think it can't, but can.

According to the article 'Insomnia damages relationships, according to study', the Great Britain Sleep Report led by the Mental Health Foundation shows the connection between insomnia and poor relationship, low energy level and an inability to concentrate. Also, poor sleep leads to health problems, including depression and heart disease. Moreover, from an online survey, the result shows the different experience between good sleepers and insomniacs. People with insomnia were four times as likely to have relationship problems, three times as likely to feel depressed and three times as likely to suffer from an inability to concentrate. Dr. Robotham, senior researcher of the Mental Health Foundation and lead author of report said that it's important that people should find efficient ways to improve the quality of their sleeping because poor sleep leads to mental health problems which cause even worse sleep.

In my life, I often don't get enough sleep, according to both a lack of time and insomnia. I always go to bed after midnight and sleep about four or five hours a night or less. Also, when I have stress, it's hard for me to get a nice sleep. I know these are not good for my health, both physical and mental. For me, if I didn't sleep enough or couldn't sleep well, I'll wake up with a headache and feel tried all day. Sometimes, I couldn't catch up what people said or what I was studying. So, after I read this article, I understand well what they said. I think many people have the same experiences; however the question is that why do we still don't get enough or don't find some ways to have a good sleeping if we know it's not good for our health? I think the answer is that we are familiar with them. Most people used to have lack of sleep and insomnia. We don't think they can cause problems because we don't have them long enough to get serious problems. However, in the long run, they are actually not good for our lives. Since sleep is one of the most important factors for living, we should pay more attention to it. If healthy eating is a key to healthy life, a high-quality and enough sleep is also an answer for living well.
_
References
Insomnia damages relationships, according to study. (2011, January 27). BBC News. Retrieved January 27, 2011 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12287535

7 comments:

  1. Poor sleep seems a great danger for everyone. If you cannot change a whole habit, I recommend everyone who has the same problem to sleep during 10.00 pm – 3.00 am. Because it’s time that body fixes itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read many resource that involve with the effect of insomnia on human life. They mention that life with enough sleeping is better than opposite behavior. I agree with Bow that almost every people know that enough sleeping can cause their physical and mental condition working appropriately, but people ignore to have it because they feel accustom with being a lack of sleep. However, it is not everyone that is familiar with this misbehavior.

    I have heard the interestingly relevant case from my athletic friend. He told me that when he has not enough sleeping, he can loss any competitions because of weak body and inactive mind. Therefore, enough sleeping is very significant condition for improving us. After I heard this story, I have been trying to have enough sleep in my routine plan.

    I recommend all students in our class to have enough sleep.....



    I recommend all of students in Aep5 class

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winny, " all students in AEP5 to have enough sleep everyday" how can we do that? However, I agee with your guys as above.

    Some recommend that the best relaxation is sleeping. People should sleep approxiamtely eight to twelve hours per night base on aged and working. Normally, experts suggest that there are several ways to treat insomnia; for example, taking sleeping pills for severe insomnia, counting sheep before resting like very young children, and meditation for elder or people who think too much. In my experience, I am lucky that I hardly face with insomnia problem. Maybe, I like to eat Thai herb curry, namely,"Kee Lek". It can help people rest easily because it has some alkaloids make human brain relaxation like sleeping pills.

    So, people should do everything balance that its can make peple to live longer. Moverover, enough sleeping is worth to physical and mental.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! Hwoe I can do it?
    Yes Boe I agree with you. when I sleep less than 5 hours, I hate to speake with other. However like you know 10 pm is the time which most AEP student start to do home work, so it hard to sleep enough haha.

    Bow I have a question. I always feel depressed, but I am not sure because I sleep in short time or I have no partner. Can you answer me haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poome,

    As I see that you are always active, I think the reason why you feel depressed is that you have no partner. So, try to find one and you will feel better ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I work much better with enough sleep, too.
    Sometimes I write something when I'm really tired. It sounds OK at the time, but when I look at it later, I often change my mind. I noticed the same thing when I used to drink at university - what sounds brilliant when you are drinking with friends doesn't always sound quite so brilliant later.

    Thankfully, this term, I'm only teaching one AEP RW class, which is fine, but last term when I was teaching two RW classes, it was very tiring. There is a lot of work for me as well as for you, which is why I usually suggest to students when I do the AEP interviews that there is a substantial amount of homework. But not as much as at university.

    I think people's sleep needs do vary - I need six hours, but a little more, about 6.5 - 7 seems better for me. Some people really do seem to function well on less than that, and some probably need more. I wish I could sleep less, but it's not something I can change, so I try to plan my teaching commitments around that and my social life and my other interests. It's a bit hard at times. I think when I was a few decades younger that my body and brain were a bit more flexible and tolerant of variation than they are today; one really late night these days knocks me out for at least the next day, so I rarely do that.
    ___________

    "Like you know 10 pm is the time which most AEP student start to do home work" (Poome @ January 29, 2011 3:06 PM). I didn't know that, although I do often get emails sent after 2:00 AM. When the email is time stamped at 5:00 AM or later, I wonder if it's because the sender has been up working all night, or has woken up early to work when they are fresh. Actually, I sometimes did use to work all night on readings or essays that excited me; it's still a temptation, but I try not to do that today. It doesn't help me to work well the next day. Now, I try to plan and do my work to allow me a reasonable amount of sleep at the same time every night, perhaps with a nap in the afternoon.

    I hope as well as a relaxing weekend you are enjoying Lord of the Flies at 8 pages a day. Next week, it will be a bit more than 8 pages a day. But we might relax the blogging since you will have plenty of other reading and writing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, it's just taken me 61 minutes to write an answer to a question I thought would make a good 45 minute exam question for Wednesday to test your understanding of teh first two chapters of Lord of the Flies. I think I need to write a different question for the exam, and perhaps save the one I've just answered for a take home essay question.

    (Don't worry, you only have to read "The Sound of the Shell" this weekend. And "Fire on the Mountain" on Monday. And then "Huts on the Beach" on Tuesday.)

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.