Thursday 20 January 2011

Bigger breakfast for lower weight?


We have heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and for good health, we should eat breakfast like a king, lunch as a prince and dinner as a pauper. Do you agree with these statement? Also, many studies showed that having breakfast could help us to lose weight.However, according to the article 'A big breakfast doesn't reduce calorie intake', having a big breakfast may not reduce but increase your weight.

From this article, the study published in Nutrition Journal showed that people still eat the same amount at lunch and dinner even they have a large breakfast. Moreover, there is another study led by the team at University of Munich. They followed 400 people who have large and small breakfast, and some of them skipped the meal. The result showed that people who had a big breakfast, approximately 400 calories larger than a small one, ate around 400 more calories a day. This means that people ate the same at lunch and dinner, no matter what they ate as breakfast. However, the British Dietetic Association said that a healthy breakfast is important for balancing diet, and people who eat breakfast have more balanced diets than those who skip this meal and can lose weight more successfully.

I agree that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. In the morning, we should eat breakfast to boost up our bodies to get ready for the rest of the day. But, what should we eat? The researchers at University of Munich said that a big breakfast leads to increasing of calorie intake in a day. However, if we have a large breakfast, does it always mean that we intake more calories than people who have a smaller one? I don't think so. The large amount of food doesn't mean that it always has high calories. It depends on what you eat. You can eat a big bowl of salad but get lower calories than eating a piece of pizza. Some foods have low calories, such as fruit and vegetable, so you'll get lower calories even you eat it more. Nevertheless, if you have breakfast as in the picture above, I agree that having a big breakfast may not reduce calorie intake.

As the British Dietetic Association said that a healthy breakfast is important for balancing diet and this can lead to weight loss, I personally agree with them. From my experience, when I had breakfast, I wouldn't be so hungry at lunch and chose to eat foods which are good for health, such as vegetable and fish. On the other hand, if I skipped this meal, I would so hungry and tended to eat more oily and salty foods. These are reasons why now I try to eat a healthy breakfast everyday. It can help me to eat healthier during the day. If you don't take care of yourself, who will take care of you?

__________
References

A big breakfast doesn't reduce calorie intake. (2011, January 17). BBC News. Retrieved January 20, 2011 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12205379

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you that breakfast is the most important meal. I always have breakfast before I go to work or study. If I don’t have it, I will feel dizzy and sleepy, think disorderly and be distracted easily until I’ll eat some. So I’ll have it every day, even it is just a banana. This article makes me feel that I should consider eating healthy food such as salad and fish, as breakfast. They are low calories and also help lose our weight. As overweight can cause many diseases such as high cholesterol, diabetes and so on, this method is a good way to diet or control weight. I don’t know whether it is effective or not. But I do know that it depends on foods that we select to eat. I sometimes have no choice during rush hour in the morning. I have only coffee and a piece of cookie from my old refrigerator to fill up my energy. Maybe I should wake up early and find them at nearby restaurants so that I could be healthier. As a result of reading this post, I am reminded to concern more for my health from eating healthy food, especially in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I strongly agree with you, and I try to be like this sentence "we should have breakfast like a king, lunch as prince and dinner as apeaperu". But I cannot and I always do opposite. In the morning, I eat stricky rice with some foods everyday before I go to school or work. In the evening, I always have dinner like two kings that they are meeting.

    However, I believe that some article cannot represent their experiments for people who live in outside area in research do. Because they are different in many factors that they impact to research.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree with you that breakfast is important, and I heard that people should take some fruit before have breakfast because it good to your bodies for digesting fruits rapidly. I used to do that in fixed time to wake up, to eat fruits, joking, and have a breakfast. It is very effective way to control your weight, but after I start to learn AEP in 5 month ago I cannot do follow this step because I have no time to do it completely, so now my weight decrease by almost 10 KG since I start to learn AEP in Sep.
    Bow! Do you have any diet plans for me? haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poome,

    I have no any diet plans for you because as you said, it sounds like studying AEP is the best way to lose your weight now, so keep studying! :)

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.