Monday 3 January 2011

Getting the homework right: How much is enough?

If a course is called "Academic English Program", most people probably expect a reasonable amount of homework to be set. After all, any course of study at an academic institution is likely to presume that students will do most of the work required outside of class, with time in class spent checking, discussing and otherwise working with what has been done at home.

AUA's Academic English Program (AEP), might not strictly be an academic course, but it is content based and the underlying method is to actually get in and do what students do in English speaking universities and colleges. This basic method means that a substantial amount of work needs to be done outside of class. My expectation has been that for every class hour, students should be doing a minimum of one hour outside of class, and preferably more, perhaps even two hours independent reading and writing for every one hour spent in class; it is, after all, in your independent study that you get to really practise the skills that we work on in class, and practice does make perfect (or at least helps a lot).

But I would also like to hear what others think, so please feel welcome to take part in the survey on the right, and to add your ideas in a comment below.
__________
References
 -

2 comments:

  1. I'm very encouraged by the voting so far - four out of four people think that two hours homework for every class hour is about right. (Only one of those votes is mine.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the beginner as me, I spend 3 hours per 1 homework. I think it's enough and I strict myself to finish everything in 3 hours. It's OK.

    For more reading, which I prefer to choose by myself such as news or blog post, I can spend more 1 hour.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.