Friday 14 January 2011

What should we do to protect ourselves from the natural disaster?

Recently, many countries have faced with a lot of disasters especially the natural disasters which are catastrophes for people such as flooding in Thailand, Sri Lanka and Australia and mudslide in Brazil. When the disaster occurs, it will damage everything both living and non-living things; for example, it harms people both their body and their mind, it also damages facilities, landscape and economical system and so on. The disaster not only makes the people who live in that place suffer from it but also makes the people who heard its news scare and panic.

According to the damage from flooding in Australia showed in “True damage of flooding revealed as waters recede” and “Queensland rebuilding 'huge task'”, There are 15 people thought to have been killed in the floods and more than 60 people are still missing; moreover, more than 20,000 homes and 5,000 businesses have been damaged by floods. At the same time, south-eastern Brazil was attracted by flooding and mudslides. In “Brazil flood and mudslide deaths rise as rescue goes on” reported that the disasters destroyed the electricity and communications systems including many roads and bridges; furthermore, it showed that the death toll has now reached 420.

After I read these news, I am worried about this topic which is the natural disaster because it happens not only in Australia and Brazil but also in many countries around the world such as Wales, English, Sri Lanka and Thailand and I think many people worry about it because I found many websites discuss about this topic and there are a lot of comments which shows that many people scare and panic the natural disaster. Moreover, some people think the disaster is going to be same as the movies like The day after tomorrow and 2012. When I finish researching, I think that although the information which we got from news and the movies will make us scare, it also leads us to think of the preparation for protecting ourselves from the disaster. However, I still wonder what we should do to protect ourselves from the natural disaster.

Most of the disasters are uncontrollable and their dangers are completely enormous, so it is hard to stop them. I think if I cannot stop them, I will learn to live with them. Although this method does not solve the problem, it helps to reduce the damage from the disaster. For example, in flooding case, the cause of the problem is overflow of the drainage system; therefore, the excellent drainage system should be build. However, we cannot control the amount of the precipitation, so flooding probably occurs. In this case, the authorities should warn people and inform them to know what they should do next. If the authorities follow this step as soon as possible, it will help to reduce the damages a lot. After I wrote this example, I realize why everything depends on the authorities, whether I can protect myself without them.
__________
References

Brazil flood and mudslide deaths rise as rescue goes on. (2011, January 13). BBC News. Retrieved January 13, 2011 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-12180079

Bryant, N. (2011, January 13). True damage of flooding revealed as waters recede. BBC News. Retrieved January 13, 2011 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12179943

Queensland rebuilding 'huge task'. (2011, January 13). BBC News. Retrieved January 13, 2011 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12179213

5 comments:

  1. As it happens, the natural disaster comes much bigger. Before of thinking about how to protect ourselves, I start looking for what the major cause really is. Human beings destroy a biological cycle for a long time. It’s such a collective problem and now it start to explode and creep in. In response to the natural disaster, I agree with you that I have to learn to live with them. But the truth is I cannot see the good way of protection. I mean you do not know what happens next as you mention “Most of the disasters are uncontrollable.” Maybe The heavy rain will has caused floods tomorrow. Maybe a volcano will release molten lava. As I give example, I do not how to protect ourselves or which way is suitable to do. I only see the romantic answer. Let do your best in every moment and prepare yourselves to die happily.

    I cannot find the answer for your question. I cannot protect myself. I deserve what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NK,
    Nice to see you continuing to post here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi NK,
    Great to see you.

    I like your idea, "Let do your best in every moment and prepare yourselves to die happily" (NK@January 16, 2011 11:21 AM). At the present, many sciecntists try to forecast the disaster by using their modelling. Although the prediction does not tell you 100 percent that the disaster will be happened or not, it can guide you to plan or prepare yourself for facing with the disaster consciously. Some scientists try to find the causes of the disaster in order to stop them. For example, the scientist found that greenhouse gases such as carbondioxside are cause of global warming, so they try to reduce the gases to stop global warming. However, it is the goods way to do in this time although it need the time to be proved whether it works.

    In addition, We do not know exacly when it will occur; therefore, one way that I will do is living in the safty place but where is the safty place? Because I cannot find the final answer for my question (Gift@January 14, 2011 01:02 PM), I really gree with NK'idea "let do your best in every moment"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your topic make me worry about fierce disaster in Thailand so I like your idea. If it happen like movie as soon, we just accept it. However, we can save the world before it occur such as growing tree, solving pollution, and save energy. Maybe, the God change their idea to revenge people who destroy the God's house.

    I wish that the cruel disaster won't happen in our country or in other nation again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peter,
    After I continued to study with you 2 terms, this class blog become one part of every day life. Actually, I’m looking forward to meeting class members again. And the thing is only 2 persons, I and Orn, proposing to study in level 6 Finally, class could not open. One more thing, you do not delete us as usual that why I still alive in your class blog.


    Gift@January 16, 2011 7:51 PM
    It’s a good example of human beings’ concern for saving the world. Actually, the trend of global warming is such Gore’s advertisement for selling green products as everyone knows that he’s a mainly stock holder of green product company. Just when it looks as if things cannot get worse, it’s a good beginning in the history of mankind. But whatever its outcome, it is the goods way to do something in this time which you mentioned. Because we do not know what is enough to have ensured in this early century. We just do it as much as possible under our own condition.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.