Saturday 22 January 2011

Should we do tests?

Being directly relevant to what we do, and what you are likely to be doing elsewhere for some years to come, "To Really Learn, Quit Studying and Take a Test" in The New York Times caught my eye. And it gave me something to think about as I was reading it.

Pam Belluck reports on some recent research which "[shows] that practicing retrieval produces greater gains in meaningful learning than elaborative studying with concept mapping" (Karpicke & Blunt, 2011). That is, taking tests to check what you have remembered actually helps you to learn better than spending a lot of time on making neat summaries, outlines, charts and other forms of concept mapping. As Belluck notes, the "study supports findings of a recent spate of research showing learning benefits from testing, including benefits when students get questions wrong" (2011, p.2, ¶ 1). Possible explanations for these results are that the act of retrieving something from memory changes, strengthens, the memory, and that making the effort to get it out of memory also helps to strengthen the ability to retrieve it later.

This interested me because we do both things in our classes: the summarizing and outlining you are doing this weekend are two concept mapping type activities, and on Monday morning you are doing a written test. I think we will continue doing both. It is clearer in the original paper by Karpicke and Blunt, but the research was limited to science learning; that is, to remembering scientific facts and their connections to theory, to each other and to other sets of facts. What we do in AEP isn't really aimed at learning anthropology, economics or whatever. I hope you find the material at least somewhat interesting and that you do learn something that might be worth learning, but our primary goals are to practice useful skills to enable better, more fluent and more confident reading and writing; we are not, for example, at AUA to memorize grammar rules, vocabulary or fascinating details about Nuchanulth house floor plans (I'm not going to test you on that, and it won't worry if  you forget it next week). Memorizing the rules of football might be very important, but knowing the rules cannot make you a good player unless you practice. You have to actually kick the ball and play real games to become a good football player. Similarly, great piano playing might need you to learn some rules about reading music, but the most important thing is to sit down in front of a piano every day and actually do it: play the piano. Reading and writing are the same: they are skills where there are important rules to learn, but the most important thing is to sit down every day (my suggestion is every day) and actually practise, and that means reading something new in English and writing something new in English. Of course, football players need feedback from an observant coach as much as piano players need tips on improving performance from a skilled teacher, which is why we spend time in class looking very critically (OALD, def.4) at the work you have done, both the reading and your writing. And on Monday, we will be doing more of that. And a test.

__________
References
Belluck, P. (2011, January 20). To Really Learn, Quit Studying and Take a Test. The New York Times. Retrieved January 21, 2011 from http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/21/science/21memory.html?_r=1&pagewanted=1

Karpicke, J.D. & Blunt, J.R. (2011, January 20). Retrieval Practice Produces More Learning than Elaborative Studying with Concept Mapping [Abstract]. Science. retrieved January 20, 2011 from http://www.sciencemag.org/content/early/2011/01/19/science.1199327.abstract

5 comments:

  1. Although I implied it in my post, I want to make another point clear: neatness in study notes seems a waste of time to me. I usually scribble things in any way that is quick and helps me to clarify something or get it down. Neatness only matters in final results. In fact, neatness doesn't really matter very much at all, and it's much easier to achieve when we write on computers, as you might have noticed from my normal handwriting and board work in class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone says that experience is an important more than degree. Because some knowledges cannot solve in real situation without practise. For example, doctors know how to operate but they have to practice again and again until that skill absorb in their blood. Nevertheless, knowledges is a necessary to people before they practice. Moreover, the exam is useful and vital for studying because it is a tool for assessment.

    Therefore, the examination is a necessary for education system.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nid

    I totally agree with you. Moreover, a test is a good way to check whether students understand lessons. In my case, the test is not a thing that I like althoug it is good for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm under a lot of stress when I take a eaxm because of my result. but it makes me more hard working and give me challiges. after took a eaxm, I could know what I still don't undertand or which part needs more practices. I don't like taking a exam but it really needs in my study.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, Ari,
    I think tests are a good way to check several important skills in both academic reading and writing: that you can read somethign and understand it; that you can use the ideas from a source; that you can write down your ideas fluently; confidently and reasonably accurately; and that you can understand and answer a question as expected.

    I usually also have at least one other reason when I choose the reading material and write the questions I assign, whether for an exam or take home work.

    But relax.
    We'll spend some time in preparation before you write your paragraph tomorrow morning.

    So, what is his thesis statement in Stephen Law's essay? (Answers are limited to one sentence.)

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.