Monday 2 March 2020

Ipp's BBC article

Summary 

According to the BBC News,Coronavirus: World must prepare for pandemic, says WHO(2020),  The World Health Organization(WHO) suggests that every country should be more prepared for the Coronavirus spread which is possible to be pandemic. The word ‘Pandemic’ means the world wide spread of a new disease that can spread quickly from one person to another.



There are more than 1,200 confirmed cases and more than 20 deaths. The most affected country would be South-Korean, the country has the most confirmed cases outside China while Italy has the most confirmed cases in Europe. The WHO chief,  Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the number of confirmed cases is ‘deeply concerning’ but the WHO still think we have not reached the pandemic level yet although the virus has the possibility of doing so. 
____________________________________ 

Response 

First of all, when I read the headline of the article, I wondered what a pandemic is but I later learned the meaning of the word as I continued to read the article. It started to terrified me more than it already is with the number of cases that are ‘deeply concerned and how fast it spread.  I have already known about the danger of the disease and how hazard it is since it is probably the world biggest news at the moment but after knowing that this virus has the potential to spread worldwide in a short amount of time makes me feel worse about the situation, especially when the virus can cause so many deaths. If the Coronavirus can be pandemic, it might cause a horribly large number of deaths in the future. 

I have a plan to go to South-Korea with my friends around the end of May 2020 but as the WHO reveals the number of confirmed cases in South-Korea, unfortunately, we are going to have to cancel the trip. Although the situation might get better by that time, we still do not want to take any risk. Luckily, we haven’t paid for anything yet and the hotel that we’ve booked was able to be cancelled without any charge. My family was also thinking about visiting our cousins in the United States, we had to cancel that as well. We don’t think it will be a good idea to be in an airplane for a long period of time and transit in either South-Korea or Japan is too much of a risk.

 
____________________________________ 

Question

What is your thought on the Coronavirus situation right now?
____________________________________ 

Reference


1 comment:

  1. As some of the other recent blog posts show, Ipp's is a popular topic for discussion at the moment. I also read an article or two on it every day, whether on the BBC News or one of the other newspapers and magazines I regularly read.

    Some good news, I thought is that the new cases in China appear to be declining, which show that the virus can be contained, although it's still unsure whether the world will be able to stop it. What worries me is the situation in poorer countries with less developed disease control systems in place. For example, I found it hard to believe that Indonesia had no cases, and what might be happening in some African countries worries me. Iran was similar.

    I'm not sure how worried we should be in Thailand, but seems OK so far, although I've just heard that from Friday everyone entering the lifts to the 21st floor will also be checked for fevers, which is already being done for higher floors. This might be annoying, and most people who are stopped will likely have an ordinary cold or something, but it's probably justified to annoy people to prevent a much greater public health disaster.

    And like Ipp, I'm also wondering about my travel plans for Songkran, when I would normally visit Australia for a week to see family and friends. I might just stay in Thailand this year, and definitely not go out mix with the Songkran crowds.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.