Tuesday 17 March 2020

Three aspects of Naam

Maenum Vs Mekong

I would like to introduce myself to you. My first name is Maenum which literally means river, and I have a big brother whose name is Phukaow which simply means mountain in Thai. Our father gave us the name. While he was an engineer at the royal irrigation department, but traveling to the site where dams have constructed was a part of his work, then he regularly saw mountain ranges and wide rivers. During my childhood, if I met dad's friends, they would greet me like "Are you Mekong river?" or "Chao Phra Ya river?", and my reply as my name plus surname. For vacations, my dad's first choice systematically was to have leisure time at any dam around the province that we passed by. He has accommodation welfare under his career to support if we would like to stay overnight. Even my dad reunion trip among his school friends, they would plan to visit a dam since they were irrigation college students and each of them would bring their family along together with them. So I have multiple chances to end up vacation trips at dams until now.     

Even though his job causes a negative effect on our nature, yet I have been growing up with a mindset that it helps agriculturists. In contrast, hearing the news about the Chinese dam alters  Mekong's erratic water flow, is a significant environmental obstacle for many countries under Mekong's river line in which we have been sharing the water resource from. Thus, agriculturists who are first-hand to be confronted with drought conditions.     
        
____________________________________ 

Cinema enlighten

Beside sleeping, watching movies is the second habit that I have spent most of the time in my life with. Over a decade, screening a movie change to many platforms, traditional screening was in cinema theaters, the next was outdoor screening, then change to videotapes, DVDs, U-torrent files until online platforms. I am happy to say that I had been watching movies on every platform. 

Going to the cinema theater would happen only for a special occasion when I was a kid. I remembered that there was a place near my house, and every new year's eve there had flea market and outdoor screening that ran overnight till dawn; our family joined the screening every year. My dad was the first person to introduce cinema to me by taking me there. In comparison, when I was a teenager, my mom forbade me from watching a movie in the cinema by myself, but I never listen to her. when I was in high school I went to the cinema with friends but we want to watch a different movie so we decided to separate from each other. Moreover, I favor to spend time alone, I was very happy once I was only one person in the cinema. At university time, it was my turning point toward my attitude about motion pictures, as a film student, we were expanding more rage of watching films in many categories and genres in our class. Such as documentaries, narrative films, non-narrative films even experimental films. I realized that the movie is a powerful media not only for entertaining its audience but also acknowledge them. In 1997, the Korean president had used movies as business tools for improving economies. He considered movies as export goods that could bring money back as same as selling a Hyundai car. Now, it is clear that Korean entertainment businesses spread through many parts of the world and earn billions back to their origin. I admitted that I impress with the vision of the president.       

 
____________________________________ 

Love me, love my dog.

Here is Snim, a famous female Thai dog from the Gluta story Facebook page where I have followed her daily life. A dog person is my third aspect. Watching funny clips of cats and dogs helps release my stress and spending the two hours for that is not too exaggerated. Now, I have silver Siberian husky. He always wakes me up in the morning by knocking my bedroom door or he might want to sleep in the room that still turns on the air-conditioning and I am the last person in the family to wake up. My dog usually sleeps in my dad's room which opens both fan and air-con. Unfortunately, my dad wakes up early in the morning and the chiller would turn off right after he awake that why my dog come to the second floor to knock my room. If I do not open the door, he would keep nonstop knocking it. He disturbs me every morning but I still love him.                     


1 comment:

  1. Reading about Naam's film interests reminded me of my childhood, when a visit to the cinema was special treat. Since my family lived in the country, going to the cinema also meant a visit to the big city nearby. A population of 20,000 doesn't seem that impressive now, but the big country town was big when I was a child.

    I can't remember the last time I went to see a film at the cinema, but it was at least ten years ago. When I was at university, my friends and I used to do it regularly. We preferred entertaining films and always had a meal together afterwards. Thinking about it, I miss that, but it's much easier to watch what I want to at home when I want to.

    Thank you Naam for telling us a bit about yourself. I wonder how your classmates related to the aspects of yourself that you discuss in your post.

    Actually, I was tempted to talk aboud dogs as well. As you can see in one of the photos I posted in my introduction, my family has a few dogs, all very spoiled. Maybe in another comment later.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.