Tuesday 17 March 2020

Three aspects of Bird


Who am I?

     This question is look like a philosophical question, but don’t worry. it’s not.  Firstly, I want to tell you about myself. As you know I’m Bird. I am the only child in my family. I live in the house around Lat Phrao Road. I have 2 dogs, which is Pomeranian and 2 cats that I adopted from cat’s shelter. I graduated from Thammasat University in Bachelor of Social Work. The reason that I choose to study in Faculty of Social Administration, It always be my joke and silly story.

     At that time I was 17 years old graduated from Hight school. I was lost I don’t know what to do? Who I want to be? Or What is my real passion? It’s so blind. In my opinion, it’s quite bad situation that affect from Thai Tradition, which is we didn’t have a Gap Year. So I didn’t have much time to explore myself.  Then when I have to choose somewhere for do my bachelor’s degree, I make up my mind I going to pick the weird name of faculty among those. However, even I got Bachelor of Social Work, but I never got a job in field of social work before. 


____________________________________ 

You Are What You Watch

     In contrast, I graduated in Bachelor of Social Work. I can say that I got Sociology and Anthropology’s view form that. It’s a good one. Even I did master’s degree in communication art field about Aesthetics and Entertainment Arts. I still use point of view from that aspect to do my work. This time I really enjoy it. It’s my kind of things. Because when I was child me and my family, we love to watch movie together. For example, Star Wars Harry Potter Chungking Express Rosemary's Baby and Of course, Psycho by Alfred Hitchcock. We are Film lover. 

      However, I love to watch movie and series. On Weekend I usually spend time to Binge-watching on Streaming Online as Netflix HBO Go or Prime Video. The reason why I fall in love with Movie is Movie is Art is a magical art. In my view, I do not watch movie for only entertainment sake. Movie can show us a world that we never been before. We can get a new perspective from that. We can put in someone shoes for understand each other who might be has a different race ethic age in from of art.

____________________________________ 

You Are What You do

     For now, mainly I work as researcher at South Asian Studies Center of Chulalongkorn University (CUSAS) is one of the newest research centers. We work in South Asian area such as Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Iran. On the other hand, I still has many works to do sometimes I write the essay for website, sometimes I going to teach the organization in subject Art of Storytelling. So I think It’s hard to define what work I do but, it's fine cause I love jobs anyways.
     
    I just the one who are searching for myself.


5 comments:

  1. Gladly that I found more film lover. I never use HBO Go and Prime video before, and I wonder how would the film's catalogue are different among each other?. I love Netflix and I am fond of Mubi, where focusing only the art house cinemas so both platforms have a dissimilar target audience. For example, Netflix screens commercial movies or the popular one and we chose what we prefer to watch. such as we can watch "Joker" when ever we want. In contrast, Mubi provides you some films line up and screen only during a limit period of time. If you miss it you might be not able to watch again. VIU is another my favorite online streaming platform that focus on Korean and Asian contents; moreover, the price are the cheapest among three of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the variety of Internet options that are available. I've subscribed to NetFlix for a few years now, but I sometimes also watch films from Google's movie service, and less often Microsoft's. It would be nice if everything I wanted to watch was on the same service, but I also like healthy capitalist competition to keep everyone working hard to please us customers.

      Delete
  2. Would you describe and differentiate the characteristic of Netfilx, HBO Go and Prime video?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bird, I love your introduction! And I am glad that it is not really a philosophical question because when I studied an introduction to philosophy, the professor explained only the word "self" for almost half an hour, which was very confusing.

    I also like how you choose to study social work. And I agree with you that the idea of not taking a gap year is problematic for Thai high school students and parents. I also have many friends who did not know what they liked when they were in high school. And some of them have regret when they have already chosen their major in universities. However, social work still sounds cool and interesting!

    Further, your work seems interesting! How come you work in the Center of South Asian Studies? Is it related to what you have learned in bachelor and master degrees? And what do you find out about the good and bad things about being a researcher? I am kind of interested in being a researcher too.

    By the way, I also love your ending. I am the one who is discovering myself too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have minded if Bird had wanted to do a bit of philosophy. Although my own university career began in the faculty of science, with majors in mathematics and physics, I soon switched to an arts degree. I kept the mathematics, but replaced physics and the other sciences with philosophy and a couple of dead languages.

      My major was in philosophy, which I had loved since I was in high school. We didn't study it in high school, but for some reason, my maths and physics teachers, a Marist priest, suggested I read some philosophy. The ones he suggested were Christian philosophers, so perhaps he thought that might save my soul from godless science. It didn't work out that way after I got hooked on Plato, Hume, Kant and a lot others.

      I still love reading philosophy today.

      Perhaps Bird will like to come back with a follow up question: What am I?

      Delete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.