Tuesday 17 March 2020

Three Aspect of Kiki

Just me

First, I would like to introduce myself before anything else. My nickname is Kiki. I’m 15 years old, studying in grade 11 this year. I am an only child in a single family, lived in the suburb but moved into the city four years ago. My great grandparents moved from China to Thailand in the mid 19th century. Most of my cousins live in the southern part of this country. My grandparents live in Yala, I always visit them during the new year breaks. My grandfather can speak four languages; Thai, English,Mandarin and Melay. He plays an important part in my childhood life. He encourage me to do many things.

As for anyone who might ask what I wanted to be, I must say I don't know at all. My parents want me to be an engineer but I dislike Physics and Mathematics. I think I need to think about it more seriously. There is only a year and a half left to decide what I want to study. I wish we have a gap year in Thailand.
____________________________________ 

Sinking in the world of letters

Growing up as an only child in a single family I spent most of my time with myself and a pile of books, entertained by letters and pictures. I first start with fantasy story and it eventually became my all time favorite genre of books. Lately, my friend have been suggesting a lot of books to me,Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky is one of that. I also have a plan to read 1982 by Gorge Orwell as well. Many people say that you are what you read but I see it a bit different. I believe that we read what we like and understand of what we experienced in our real life. We might read the same book but learn different things. Even when we would like to read something just for sake of entertainment, what entertain one does not did the same thing to others. I barely hate any characters. I sometime feel many characters annoying, frustrating or awkward, but hardly loath them. This is one reason why I oftenly have argument with my friends.
____________________________________ 

Sweet tooth

Eating sweets can always improve my mood no matter how bad the day was. Cakes, pastries and biscuits are the best thing I could ever have. Count out reading, baking is what I like to do in the weekends. Most of the time, I would bake cupcakes, cookies and puff pastries because my parents don't really enjoy anything other than them. My favorite cake is sponge cake with fresh cream and fruit. I spend my time after school with my friends trying to find cafe that suites our taste. Now, I am working to improve my carrot cake recipe. Last time, I put too much cinnamon in it and too much sugar in the frosting. 

I can bake only on weekends because I don't have an oven in my condominium. Only thing I can do is  bake a cake in the rice cooker.

2 comments:

  1. Being unclear about what we will be in the future is the problem for everyone. Even I am graduated, I am still considering this problem. Nevertheless, I would like to suggest you choose the way you want, not the way other people decide it for you. Because when you are studying at the university level, there is more pressure than high school. I have seen some of my friends, who study the discipline they did not like, were immensely struggle with their studying. Fortunately, you still have one more year to discover yourself. I suggest you visit Open House at the universities (of course, after the coronavirus has gone). It will help you to be able to determine what major would suit you.

    By the way, Kiki, I strongly agree with your idea about reading. I also believe that even reading the same book, readers would gain different experiences, depending on their interpretation of the text. Similar to you, I also hardly loathe characters in books, because I believe that every character has reasons for their actions, just like the world of real life. I also plan to read George Orwell's 1984, but I don't have time to read yet. I did read George Orwell's once when I studied history. His writing urged me to think all the time I read. I certainly believe that you would learn many things from George Orwell's writings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad there is another fan of George Orwell out there. When I reviewed and graded Kiki's blog post, I also commented on how much I enjoyed Orwell's work. I've read his 1984 many times, and also Animal Farm. In fact, I've led a few classes in reading those novels. Like Orwell's non-fiction, they are written in concise, clear English, although he does use some rare vocabulary and the odd bit of odd grammar. His ideas are always powerful and clearly expressed. I agree that we learn a lot from Orwell's writing. Every time I reread him, I learn more. I think that's sign of a great writer: you want to read their work again and again because it gets better with each reading.

      I hope you and Kiki both enjoy 1984 when you get around to reading it.

      Delete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.