Tuesday 10 March 2020

Send Help!

Summary 

According to "Feeling hot hot hot: the weird things that happen to your body in extreme heat.", The line under the title is "Hello halitosis" which halitosis means the bad breath and how does the bad breath link with hot weather?. My curiosity drives me to continue reading the article. The writer, Ktena explains three things that hot weather could reflect on human body mechanisms. First, we could have bad breaths from dehydration if you drink more water, it would stop dehydration and halitosis. Second, sunbathing could gain you more vitamin D and prevent you from the brittle bone. Lastly, the heatstroke symptoms would stop you from sweating to save the water in our bodies. First aid is to put an ice pad around groins or armpits to save patients. The article tells me some interesting facts that I have never noticed it before.         


____________________________________ 

Response 


I enjoy reading this article because of the way that the writer presents to readers. Begin with humorous tone on an introduction and also there have many .gif files from twitter to illustrate people's jokes about hot weather in the UK. The one that made me giggle is from the vigorous pigeon who talks about tap water which is the cold tap has become hot tap and the hot tap has become a death tap and he or she asks for help which is so hilarious if we compare weather between the UK and Thailand. Next is the hot weather topic is related to me who lives in a tropical country where close to the equator line. I definitely understand their joke hence we have the same thing in common about the heat. Others from Finland may get our joke but they may not have strong empathy as same as I do. The final point is I have gained more general knowledge about bad breath which is a big issue that would affect our self-confidence among others.                                   

If your acquaintances have bad breath what would you do to help them? If they are my close friends, I will not mind to tell them the truth and I know that my action will not break their self-confidence, on the other hand, it would help them to have more self-confidence later. For others who we not close to, how would we react to this situation? How would you sort out the problem smoothly without heart their feeling or humiliating them? I could not come up with an idea to tell them, I would rather be quiet than tell the truth and I would regret to my reaction a bit.              

____________________________________ 

Question

Telling people that they have bad breath is harder than tell them that your zip is undone. Don't you think so?

____________________________________ 

Reference

Ktena, N. (2018 June 30). Feeling hot hot hot: the weird things that happen to your body in extreme heat. BBCthree. Retrieved from https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/063dba1d-2ab2-40e3-9837-3d70481ef82c 

1 comment:

  1. As I read it just now with my afternoon coffee, I liked Naam's first response, which is to note that the writer chose a humorous tone. I liked this comment by Namm because it reminds us that when we are writing, it's important to think about our audience and our purpose. Good writers ask themselves questions such as: Who am I writing for? What sort of tone will work best with my audience? These are, of course, exactly the sort of questions that Rogers and Zemach have asked us to think about in their global reading skill questions following the readings that we have done in unit 1.

    And as I read Naam's response to the issue of halitosis, I also remembered some experience of my own that left me feeling a bit uncomfortable. One of my close friends many years ago was having problems with his partner at the time, and although I suspected it might have been an issue, I wasn't able to tell him that he should see a dentist about his bad breath. And I suspect that his partner found it easier to destroy the relationship than to speak up. Oddly, I've always thought that Thai culture had less of a taboo about saying that, but reading Naam's response and question, I'm wondering whether I'm right about that. Have I misunderstood a Thai cultural norm?

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.