Tuesday 12 October 2010

First human trial of embryonic stem cells


Do we know about embryonic stem cell? Most embryonic stem cells are derived from embryos that develop from eggs that have been fertilized in vitro—in an in vitro fertilization clinic. I found news about "First human trial of embryonic stem cells" today and I interesting this news from BCC NEWS.

Geron Corporation is a biotechnology company, Geron received The Food and Drug Administration approval to begin embryonic stem cells testing in humans.The research will use cells coaxed to become nerve cells which are injected into the spinal cord.Geron use paralysed rats in experiment and rats can revived some movement, and then they try to experiment in human.Geron president Dr Thomas Okarma said:"This accomplishment results from extensive research and development and a succession of inventive steps". Many people in the US had an accident in spinal cord every years and stem cell can treatment.

In my opinion, many people don't know about stem cells. It's a good thing, but sometime I think it's not safe enough.
__________
References
First human trial of embryonic stem cells. (2010, October 11). BBC News. Retrieved October 11, 2010 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11517680

3 comments:

  1. I like this article and nearly choose this for my blog last night. I like technology and I think it could make us have better lifes. I've ever heard word 'stem cell' in others medical treatment for many years. And now they have developed into spinal cord, that I think it's very important and sensitive part of body and it's related to herniated disc - a popular disease of middle-aged person. I hope this development could cure this disease and others with painless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I'm interested in science, including genetics, that interest is mainly related to evolution and how our nature as human beings is formed and determined, so I'm one of those people who Ko notes "don't know about stem cells" (¶ 3). I know what they are, but not much about how they are or could be used in medical treatment, so I found Ko's post informative as well as interesting.

    Thank you Ko.

    ReplyDelete
  3. About stem cell, the first time I knew it because my closed friend asked me to sell it. I cannot do it as I have to get pregnant to make stem cell in my body and I scare of medicine equipment. She worked for finding stem cell and collect it in stem cell bank but all of this process always happens in wealthy people area and uses a lot of money to correct. It sounds good for new beginning in medical field and non stop of developing to help human being's health. In the other hand, I think it's to far from poor people who have high rate in unhealthy and it's feel dangerous because I totally beleive in human mechanism. If we try to do something that cross nature of human mechanism, it's not the good way. I cannot trust in it.

    Everything has 2 sides that it helps a lot of people but it still has side effect.

    Thank you for sharing:) Ko's article 's interesting. When I was young.I love biology because it makes me well understand in my body.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.