Sunday 10 October 2010

Philippines air crew dances through the safety demo







Do you have any plans to travel by air? If you have, you will see the safety demonstration on your personal TV or by flight attendants on the plane. However mostly passengers don’t pay attention to the demonstration. Each air carrier is struggling about how to draw the passenger’s attention to the safety demonstration.

According to the article “Philippines air crew dances through the safety demo”, the Philippines Low-cost carrier (LCC), Cebu Pacific finds an answer by a unique performance. They are successful to grab the passenger’s attention to the air safety demonstration by its female crew’s dance with a Lady Gaga tune. Dance moves with instructions about how to use lifejackets, air masks and find the emergency exits are demonstrated instead of normal demonstration. Now male version is available. Both female version and male version dances have millions hits on YouTube.

I doubt if passengers understand correctly how to use the emergency equipments and find the way to exit through the dance. It seems to be ridiculous for me. Is it Okay that the most important introduction for the safety is informed merry and roughly!? I have had some chances to take LCC flights, but I have never had a good impression for their flight. I thought “L” of LCC is “L” of low service! ; no punctuality, no crews are available when I needed to ask or help and no smile… the advantage is just its cheaper price only.

Nowadays LCC is increasing its market share and becoming popular all over the world. To offer cheap prices, of course they have to cut down their costs, besides to compete with their rivals, they need plus something. Showing the unique performance without much expense, Cebu pacific is successful to promote their company’s name. We are welcome to be offered cheaper air fare. Moreover I hope they would spend much more time for improve their services as same as spending the time to practice dance.
__________

References

Philippines air crew dances through the safety demo. (2010, October 8) BBC News. Retrieved October 9, 2010 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11498663

6 comments:

  1. At this time, I think your article becoming one of the most popular in this blog. Your article makes me more laughing. Thank you for sharing.

    In the point of the way to use emergency equipments, it’s totally failed. Actually the old tradition of giving information looks more easy to understand but it’s difficult to do in the real situation. However the company has settled new campaign and reached to the achievement in both advertisement and improving atmosphere of low-cost service.

    In Thailand, MK restaurant-suki yaki- set up the similar campaign for 4 or 5 years before. Every 30 minutes waiters and waitresses shows exercise dance to help them alert, to give big smiles for customers, and to build good relationship between them.

    Anyways, dancing campaigns are more successful in the same line of business tactic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll probably continue to stick with flying wtih QANTAS where possible, not just because it happens to be Australian, but because it has an excellent, almost perfect, safety record.

    But I'm one of those people who never pay attention to the safety information at teh start of every flight. And no, I don't know what to do or how to escape if I'm ever in an airborne emergency. Panic and pray?

    My awful suspicion is that if a plane crashes, the chances of survival are very remote no matter what safety precautions you take.

    I'm in two minds about the MK Suki performances that Namkhang was reminded of by Shu's post. They don't do anything for me, but some of the younger people (as in pre-teen) who are sometimes part of the party I go there with seem to like them. Or maybe I'm wrong, and unknown to me, the half-hourly dance routines do make eating there a more positive experience for me. I am sure that I'm often wrong about how things influence me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think 'dance through the safty demo' is good for get attention from passengers and make them have fun even it's not good enough for understand the whole things. But as we know, they are the same safty steps and processes for all airlines, it's boring for person who oftens used. And they also have a picture on chart in front of your seat. For me, it's a creative idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with NU's idea (@October 11, 2010 12:30 AM) It is a creative idea, but it is hard to understand. I think most passengers enjoy air crew dancing more than interest in safety information. Moreover, I think this campaign is developed to promote the airline more than to care the passenger safety.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I agree with Gift - it sounds like something a bad airline has done to improve its image.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Additional information,
    My Filipino friend told me that there is a normal (ordinal) safety demonstration after the dancing performance. It means the dance is just entertainment. As NK mentioned about MK dance, (NK&MK…confusing) I was surprised when I saw it first time. I didn’t understand what it is for? Also sometimes I go shopping at Carrefour to buy some glossaries. I’m not sure what specific time it is, suddenly all staff gather and then start dancing with its original song. It has big question!?!?!? Supermarket with dance… Both MK and Carrefour dances are customer scurvies probably… In case Cebu pacific dance must be customer service as well. For me, I’d like rather given real safety operation than such as service…

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.