Saturday 3 October 2015

Travelling full time: can everybody really do this?

Are there people who could leave everything in their life to travel? By knowing nothing about the future, these people must be very courageous. Leaving everything to start a new life with uncertainty because it is our passion, is it a good enough reason? Then if your passion is not enough, then what would be? These thoughts circulate in my head as I read through Iovino’s article of “A one-way trip to Hong Kong that’s lasted 7 years.” She left everything at home to follow her passion: travelling. I thought what she did was very admirable. Then I looked at myself and thought what if one day my daughter came to me and said she would quit her job and go on explore the world as a full time traveler. What would I do? Then I would have to ask her whether she has enough money to do so. How long that money would last her? When she used up all the money, what would she do? Is it possible for everyone to follow Iovino’s step? Living off a blog that shared her experiences on travelling. How many people are actually successful in doing this? I thought about it then it raises another question. What if they failed? A few people makes it through doesn’t mean the others could do it as well. There is no guarantee that this advice will lead you to succession. So it comes to my question “travelling full time: can everybody really do this?” However, people should not give up on their dream and passion. So I guess it depends on your judgement. Could you really live with yourself if you do not follow your dream? And if you did, and it did not go according to plan, can you still live with yourself after that?

_______________________________________ 

My question is: Travelling full time: can everybody really do this?

___________
Reference
Iovino S.(2 October,2015) A  one-way trip to Hong Kong that's lasted 7 years. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20150827-how-i-quit-my-job-to-travel-the-graphic-designer

8 comments:

  1. When I left Australia many years ago to travel for a few years, one of the first things I learned was that I didn't like travelling. It is annoying to be constantly having everything changing, to not have any regular groups around you. Perhaps today, an online group could serve that purpose well, but when I tried travelling, I quickly realised that I was not one of the people who love waking up and thinking: "Am I catching a plane today? What country am I in?" and so on. That was exciting for a very short time.

    I guess that in a way I was one of the failures at travelling. But the failure to succeed as a traveller was very successful in pushing me to better understand myself, so it was well worth the effort to learn that my own ideas about what excited and fulfilled me were wrong.

    And I think, completely off topic, that that's a good reason to encourage kids to try to try out relationships from an early age - trying and often failing is perhaps the best way to learn what is and is not going to be rewarding for you. Of all my brothers and sisters, the only one whose relationship has lasted is my youngest sister, now travelling in Thailand with her four daughters and the man who has never become her husband: she tried a few other men before settling on him. She also decided, unlike my other brothers and sisters, that marriage was unlikely to offer any great benefit, so skipped it.

    But now it's time for my daily walk to work, following exactly the same route. Then I'll pop by Tops Silom Complex on the way home, and buy the usual sort of groceries,and some kai yang from the street vendor in my soi as usual, and come back home an old friend is popping by, and I'll read a bit or watch a DVD as usual, and I like that regularity, however boring it might sound. Actually, I do like excitement in my life, but not the sort that comes from travelling.

    My answer to Na's question? I don't think it's true that we can all do everything, most of us cannot do many things, however hard we might try, but I don't failure is a bad thing - it helps us learn what and who we are, and helps us to grow. So, I think it's a good idea to try things, lots of things, and a few silly things even: they just might work. And if they don't, what have you lost?

    I don't regret my totally failed decision to travel the world for a couple of years - I wouldn't be me here today had I not tried and failed early on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. Learning from failure is the best way to grow up. Personally, I don't like to change my surrounding all the time too.I guess both of us are an animal of habit.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your interesting article. Actually her feeling before quitting her job is very common. But the decision is not easy for everyone, since their condition is different. Mid-life crisis is very hard exercise, until you find some sources of power to overcome.

    But I still believe every one can do traveling full time, even sometimes you need more effort or intelligence like this couple, This couple quit their advertising jobs to travel the world — and now they scrub toilets for food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before deciding to traveling full time you should be ready for any consequence. If you can accept the result like the couple, then you can do whatever you want.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recently, I've read about the news which praised a women, her name I can't remember but her fan page I've already follow her for a few months, her page named "I ROAM ALONE". She earned a master's degree in Spain for 3 three years ago, but she wouldn't like to study in advance more to become a doctor. She had a passion to travel around the world "alone" and now she has done her job.

    I called her I Roam, she says that no matter what we are men or women, we all can travel everywhere if we dare. Just dare. I'm impressed with her view towards going from the things which I'm familiar with and explore the world which you've never seen before.

    She's an influential women this time and now she's just 27 years old who have experienced for travelling more than 70 countries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think few people can do due to the balance of three main aspects
    which are the limitation of human’s life as follows:

    1. Money
    2. Time
    3. Strength (Health)

    During childhood, there are strength and time, but no money
    During adulthood, there are strength and money, but no time
    During being an elder, there are money and time, but not strength

    So, that’s why people are hardly able to travel all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you were young ,there was not much responsibility.So your world was full of hope and dreams,but in reality, many things will not go according to plan. Sometimes it might turn out really bad, but you can't give in.You have to keep going

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.