Thursday 15 October 2015

Would you like to be immortal?

Due to high technology nowadays , this leads people to know more about a mechanism of diseases and can find the way to cure, but surprisingly some diseases also can adapt themselves to escape being a target of our immune system or even some antibiotics. For example, one of the best ways that influenza viruses, which is known as the flu viruses, using to escape our immune system is by mutation in the genes that relates to the viral surface proteins. These lead viruses to evolve in a gradual way and also have several types, so this is one reason that why news flu vaccines need to be created for each flu season.

Anyway, I think scientists have also never stopped to search for new knowledge for new cure, and recently, I have read the interesting news which is “The creature with the key toimmortality?” (2015), prof. Dan Rokhsar
, professor of genetics at the University of California, and his team study a gene or pathway in sea anemones to search for the way that allows us to avoid ageing.

Dan Rokhsar says “As far as we know, these are immortal animals,"

 "They live a very long time - one was documented to have lived 100 years. They don't have old age. They live forever and proliferate, just getting bigger."

Actually, although he has found a lot of similarity between sea anemone and human, there is a difference between sea anemones and humans that worry him because people also have thoughts, memories and consciousness that the anemones do not have, so studying in the sea anemone may not help to retain these bright and present in new regenerating bodies.

However, I also think that someday when new innovations in medical technology have much developed, it may be possible that we might find the way that humans can live much longer than nowadays (the average life expectancy of worldwide might be around 300-500 years old),or we might become immortal.
_______________________________________ 



My question is:
Would you like to be immortal?  Why? Why not?
___________
Reference


The creature with the key to immortality?. (2015, October 9). BBC News. Retreived from http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34454844

7 comments:

  1. I don't want to be an immortal. If I were, I wouldn't be interest and care in other things. You should do the best each days as it was your last day is a quote that I always hear (I cannot remember this exactly) confirms that every second of time are value because it is limited.

    By the way, have you ever watched a movie "In time". If not, I do recommend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have heard this movie before, but I am not sure that whether I have seen it or not. what is it about?.

      Delete
    2. Great movie. I enjoyed it a lot. Wonderfully silly, but also raising a few serious issues. Maybe I'll watch it again this evening.

      Delete
  2. This is human attempt to win over nature. But don't forget nature is not immortal either.

    So I don't think I want to be immortal because life would be infinite and it will be boring. We would be missing the challenges in life. We won't feel the need to do anything at anytime because we can do it whenever we want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I’ve just knew that there are such animals in our world, feeling amazed

    Anyway, my answer is I would like to have a long life, but not immortal one too.

    “Everything has to change or be changed.” I believe that this is the law created by nature.

    If humans can be immortal, I suppose that they might neglect the true value of having life. Being immortal leads them to be so independent that they might decide to live aimlessly and might not care anything to make a society and the world—and even their lives—better. Nowadays, people have to struggle for survival by studying, socializing, working to get money, exercising, living and taking care family and so on due to the fact that they do not have immortal lives, and they, therefore, cannot ignore such things if they still want to live worthily and happily.

    However, I support scientists to search for new knowledge about effective, advanced treatment methods by which they can overcome severe diseases that are hard to be cured at the present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your opinion about immortality seems reasonable. But when you say about people nowadays have to do lots of things to survive, it make me think that it might be better for us to have immortal life?, so we don't need to worry about these burdens anymore.

      Delete
  4. I think I'd like to try it for a couple of centuries or so before deciding how much I liked immortality. I was also reminded of the gods of Homer - so immoral and unlearning in their immortality: incapable of the dignity and moral excellence of the Trojans and Greeks fighting it out down below in the mortal world as they aspired to become heroes, even the bloody minded, selfishly proud and jealous Achilles.

    And the beauty of the starry night in Book 8 (lines 638 - 654, Fagles trans.), with the stars reflected in the camp fires around which the alert Trojans waited for battle with the Greeks at dawn, when many on both sides would be killed. The end of their brief existence in ceaseless conflict.

    If the gods are the example of immortality, perhaps mortality is the better option.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.