Monday 26 October 2015

Who has inspired you in your life?

In Thailand, the beliefs regarding horoscope and astrology have been quite commonplace in society since the past time. Astrologers play an important role in the country, especially in the royal or even national activities such as The Royal Ploughing Ceremony taking place in May of each year at Sanam Luang in Bangkok. At present, there have been many Thais that are fortunetellers as either a main job or minor occupation. In the meantime, people can easily know about their horoscope via a huge range of media which are typically free like applications on smart phone and tablet, websites, books, magazines, newspapers etc., but it might not be as full of detail as direct contact and talk with fortunetellers or even some monks. Most of the matter that people need to get an advice from them are generally about auspicious times for wedding and stuff like that, lucky numbers for car registration or mobile phone numbers, names or surnames etc.

As an illustration, my name and surname, in fact, have not been named by my parents but by the monk so that this would be luck for my life. However, I am not sure if our names can astrologically shape or psychologically influence on our lives. In “Does a baby's name affect its chances in life? ”, Kremer (2014) says that the researchers have tried to study the effect on people whose names are strange to the eyes for many decades. The results in the past pointed out that men having unusual first names were more inclined to drop out of school and then become alone in their lives, whereas if those who were patients with mental illness and have such names were likely to be more solicitous. Yet, in recent works, there has been finding that there is no negative impact on people with odd names, while sometimes common or uncommon are both regarded as their desire. Besides that, similar works by other researchers by a sociologist, an economist and the like have revealed that there is no correlation between their effect on people’s life and different names.

Further supported by the results of research works, I am convinced that our lives mainly depend on our action rather than our names or fates. It is indisputable that people’s characters or personality would be varied because of different society and place (environment) they live in. This corresponds to the “looking-glass self” concept, a psychology concept that our identity is partly shaped by the way we are treated by other people. Thus, it seems to me that some people may not realize that their traits and lives mostly tend to be like their surrounding; on the other hand, others are prone to spend their lives based on the people who they select as role models. 

So, what about you? Do you have any role model (father, mother, teacher, stars, and the like) in your life? Who is your role model?
_______________________________________ 

My question is:
Who is your role model in your life? and Why?

___________
Reference
Kremer, W. (2014, April 11). Does a baby's name affect its chances in life?. BBC News. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26634477

4 comments:

  1. Actually, I have two role models.

    The first one is Johnny Depp that why he is also my favorite star; for example, he acts as a character from "The Pirate of The Caribbean" in his free time to visit child patients for many times to inspire them without an advertisement. Moreover, he works hard, but is not serious to his life.

    The next person is Audrey Hepburn. She spent her life to help in many charities. In addition, I do be impressed by her quotes; one of my most favorite motto "For Beautiful Eyes look for goods in others; For Beautiful Lips speak only words of kindness; And For Poise walk with the knowledge that you are never alone" that I try to remember and follow.

    From the news, I agree that name does not relate to personal life; however it could remind in some cases. One of a character from Chinese series, the main character's name is Sanhao - san means three; hao means good" that are do good things, speak nice words and think positive ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also like this Hong Kong series too, because it's very fun and the plot is not too plain, very exciting. The cast in this series is also Mi Xia who just came to visit Ratchaprasong in order to promote the landmark Bhrama shrine from the tragic explosion.

      Delete
  2. It seems to me that I have a lot of different kinds of my idols, not only the influential people such as Taylor Swift and Howard Schultz (the CEO of Starbucks) but also some members of my family who are quite successful in their lives. Rather, I just admired them about their attitudes towards living and I think that it's better if we adopt their good ways to adapt in our unique lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My both parents are my role model. I think they have influence on me a lot. When I have got some difficulties, they always give me good advice and cheer me up. Especially, my dad usually think in positive way and never ran away from difficult works or problems that make him being successful in his working life. So I try to follow them. Actually, I think it would be nice if i can cheer those who are feeling despondent up as my parents' ve always done for me.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.