Friday 18 October 2019

Microplastics in your belly

Introduction and summary 

"Microplastics: Seeking the 'plastic score' of the food on our plates" is about the studies of microplastics that can be found everywhere on Earth. The article says that microplastics are becoming a part of our planet and they are also accumulation in the food chains. Once we eat some fish, we cannot know how much of these microplastics get into our bodies. Although many scientists try to find out the effects of these tiny things in animals and humans, it remains unknown and needs further research.

____________________________________ 

Response: What is your opinion? 

I think it is great that recently many people are interested in the environment and plastic issue. The discovered of microplastics in sea, atmosphere, and foods makes a lot of people turn to concern more about using plastic. I think founding microplastics on our plate is more impact on society because the plastic pollution can be clearly seen in places, but we cannot see it in foods. Although the risks of microplastics to our health have not been confirmed yet, I think it could affect us in some way.

I think we should reduce using plastics by stop using single use plastics, the plastics we use only one time before throwing it away. I think we cannot stop using plastic immediately however I glad that at least some people started to keep it in their mind. 

____________________________________ 

Question for your classmates

Are you afraid of microplastics? How do you put an end to plastic pollution? 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Byte. It's a good summary of your chosen article in 86 words, which is safely within the 120 word limit set.

    I was wondering in what way you think the microplastics might affect us. And I'm in two minds about reducing our use of plastics. I know it's bad for the environoment, but plastics, especially plastic bags, are extremely useful. They are, for example, much more practical for shopping than traditional things like banana leaves. I notice now at Tops that they wrap some things, like the asparagus I like to eat, in banana leaves, but then it's put in plastic bags! And it annoys me when I get to the checkout on their plastic bag free days, which I never remember. I would prefer the producer to pay enough to cover the cost of undoing the environmental harm in taxes, which they could then pass on to customers like me.

    Thanks for a great post on a controversial issue for us to respond to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came up with two ways that microplastics could affect us.
    In a direct way, it is a health issue. Taking the microplastics may not harm you instantly, but for a long time, it might kill you from cancer and failure in the body system.
    In an indirect way, I think it might involve financial issues. The article mentions the plastic score, the score of plastic that found in animals that are ending up on our plate, I think this score would increase the wealth inequality in the future (if the scientists can find a way to measure it). Its good point is telling you how safe your meal is but you have to know that security comes with an expense. The safer the meal is, the higher it cost. If I don’t have enough money to buy it, I have to take the risk. I think these issues could affect me because I think it is in the near future however I think human could find a way to solve these issues later on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Byte. They both sound like reasonable explanations of how microplastics might affect us. I don't know the biology, so although I was happy to believe that they might, your explanations were helpful. Perhaps younger people should worry about this more than me, since I'm already at an age where longterm harms are less likely to worry me.

      Delete
  3. I am not afraid of microplastics but ecology and environment problems make me sad. Every day I see how thai people overuse plastic bags, catlery and straws. For example, if I buy a small bottle of water and couple of yogurts seller gives me too much plastics like one bag, one straw and two spoonse. Although I could have a big bag already. But nobody doesn`t care and doesn`t want to think logycally - probably I do not needed in plastic at all. Now I help a staff to pack my buyings in every supermarkets for using less plastic bags than they use usually.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.