Friday 19 February 2021

Bioshock: The Horror name, the great game of all times

 The series of Bioshock, A Gang of bloody friends of this young singleplayer

In my childhood about 12 years old, my mom was doing the job of a teacher and my dad was going to work, leaving me at my cousin’s house (which is not quite that close). Then I found one game that was on their computer with a strange and a little bit of horrific name on the icon.

The first one of this saga is a First Person Shooter game where you can carry guns and shoot some villains also with the combination of a superpower to get more satisfied with killing, but you are not invincible. This game has various kinds of enemies that are ready to rip you out, making you have to prepare yourself before getting into a gory mess. And that introduced me to “Lore”. Bioshock lore explains to me a lot about why I always get a bad ending. One of them is my hot-tempered and non-reasonable killing. There’s a little female monster that the game allowed you to kill and drain her power which I didn’t know that killing her will affect the ending, making me drastically calm down when I want to shoot something, also affects my real-life decision too, the major example is especially on the sudden decision which I have to make, along with my cool down tempered while I have to get out of the argument without a bad consequence, that’s why I like Bioshock I. 

Next is the continuation of the series, Bioshock III Infinite(Actually I play this instead of the second one). After I was bored of the underwater world of Bioshock, this one was taking me to the steampunk balloons. 3 years pass, my parent bought a new computer for work and its performance was accidentally meet the requirement of this game, so I bought it with no hesitation. Bioshock Infinite III is improved from the previous one with the graphics and gameplay(and GORIER too). It was absolutely the first game that I took seriously on reading lore on the website or the essay that people write about and so with practicing English to understand it. The story from my understanding is very similar to The Flash that telling you about the parallel universe, the reversed side of the protagonist, even the form of his darkest mind (Savitar reference, from The Flash Ss3). At that time, a whole Bioshock series seemed like it is my only friend because I was the nerd in high school(Mattayom 3 or Grade 8) who just addicted to playing the online game alone before I found out that playing a storytelling game was funnier, and the series of Bioshock is the first saga that nails it. Even it is such a short good memory, as a standard of the storytelling game that their length is only 8-15 hours. But it is the short memory that inspires me to study hard to get to know more of English for a better understanding of every good masterpiece.







2 comments:

  1. I somehow agree that game improves English skills of players because as you mentioned from your experience that you study hard to get to know more of English for a better understanding, which was similar to my own experiences. Even though it is impossible to interpret all of the meanings, I try my best to read and conclude ideas in each station. However, I do not think that playing violent game like Bioshock has a positive effect on every player. It is depend on your guilty conscience for killing women, which everyone might not think on the right side as yours, so I recommended not to play when you were too young or perhaps you should play under your parents' see as they can guide what is right or wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Earth, but as I read it Poom's comment about the gore, and the gorier, it sounded fun. I was surprised to learn that you could learn valuable lessons about self-control from a game, but I've never played the sort of game that Poom introduces us to, so perhaps I shouldn't have been so surprised.

      Although I'm not sure that I agree with Earth's comments about the dangers of violence, I like that she wrote that response. It made me think a bit more about gore and violence in entertainment. And it's everywhere. Shakespeare whom most parents in Western countries want their children to study, is violent. I remember when I read my first Shakespeare. It was Macbeth, and it's super violent: the play opens with a bloody battle being fought, then the bloodied Macbeth meets three gory witches throwing bits of animals into their potion, and inspired by their predictions, he murders the king who is his guest. Actually, it's not Macbeth but his bloody minded wife, eager to be queen, who stabs the king, drenching herself in blood, and so it goes. But if you want real gore and violence, the ancient Greek classics are the best: Homer is full of stomachs being cut open and spilling out onto the sands at beach near ancient Troy. Humans seem to love violence. I'm not sure that today's video games are half so violent at what is supposed to be the best in our literature.

      But I'm not sure about Thai classical literature. Is it also full of violence, betrayal, scheming and so on?

      Delete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.