Sunday 21 February 2021

Mean : Retrospective Childhood's Game

Talking about childhood, people generally think about studying and relaxation time. Can you remind yourself what you were doing during childhood? In this era, in which which technology is advanced and tangible, children usually spend their free time on screens, including chatting with friends , surfing the internet, playing games, and so on. During my childhood, I was doing many things. Mostly, I studied, but rather than do that in my leisure time I played games with friends. In that context, the games didn’t rely on the internet. One of my favorite games was  Monopoly with a physical board and dice. As you can see, any kind of games are present in every generation, so it might have some significance. Monopoly had a lot of importance to me. In the following paragraph, the details will be discussed.

Monopoly is a well known board game. I played it a lot when I was a child. I have just realized that this game is so important to me. Firstly, it makes me sociable. As it is recognized,  Monopoly needs at least two people to play it, so every time I tried to play it, I had to make it up for two to five players. It taught me to talk and spend time with others well. Hence, my communication skill was rising too. Secondly, I learnt to make a plan since you were given a limited amount of  money at the start. To win this game, it is decided from anyone who possesses the highest value of the total properties. You should not spend a huge amount of money at first because you will lose it in the beginning. Lastly, as I have mentioned about spending money, Monopoly also taught me to not be greedy. For example, I have been given with a budget for each month so I need a plan and make the ends meet. These are all important I have got from this game. Contradictory, some people would not get the idea of playing Monopoly. It is undeniable that Monopoly takes a lot of time finding the winner. Thus, it is so typical that someone stops and retards themselves before the games come to the end.  

To summarize, coming up with games someone might have bad attitude toward it. However, they literally give something to us either way, depending  on the individuals. Personally, I got three important benefits from monopoly, which are socialization, planning skill, and communication skill. Try the games that fit you and eventually you can find the real importance to the games.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you Mean. I'm glad to see that someone chose Monopoly. When you read my essay on a favourite childhood game, Monopoly was one of the top three that I had also considered. And if you check my planning notes (the link is in the third comment I wrote on my essay), you will see that Monopoly was also a strong initial contender for my chosen topic, although in the end, I chose euchre, and then wrote about why it beat Monopoly for me, but I still have the sort of memories of Monopoly that made it your favourite.

    I spend many happy hours playing Monopoly with my brothers and sisters and visiting friends and cousins. It was very sociable, although I'm not sure that all the lessons we learned were good ones: we used to try to persuade each other into property deals that were more beneficial to ourselves than the other person. I suppose that was good for enhancing persuasive skills, but some of our persuasion seems a bit dishonest and selfish in retrospect. But it was great fun making deals to help bead the random luck of throwing the dice.

    In her comment on Poom's essay, Earth discusses the possible danger of violent games encouraging bad characters. I wonder if Monopoly can also stimulate bad personality traits, like dishonest speech to benefit ourselves? This is just my idea as I thought about the memories that your essay brought up for me.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.