Friday 19 February 2021

Earth: Exciting Time for the Sims 2

Looking back sixteen years ago, in Thailand, video games began to become popular and shaped every stage of our childhood life. More and more game advertisements were promoting their products on how players could build our experiences and create details in the game. One of my favorite video games, called The Sims 2, gave me several benefits in my life.

The Sims 2 taught me how to manage relationships with neighbors, family and friends. It allowed me to create my own personality on Sims, and I learned how to build trust and ties when interacting with other Sims. Although most of the time I failed to tie up  relationships, I learned to adapt and understand until receiving compliments and forming relationships. This helped me to form bonds in my real life. In addition, The Sims 2 fulfilled my relationship goals. Although it was just a simulation and some experiences were impossible in the real world, I shaped my personality to become an outstanding musician and a lover of an adorable rock superstar Sim. At that time, I felt that I was her and I was very impressed by our romantic relationships.

Furthermore, The Sims 2 developed my cognitive skills on how to think and act reasonably. The game helped me easily to construct buildings, treat dogs and practice skills for cooking. I spent two to three hours a day playing  and observing the consequences of my actions, which shaped my attitudes towards a way of life.  These improved my creative and critical thinking skills on how to collaborate on a number of things for building unity. In addition, creating a society and a public center were challenging and required dedication , which made me have more patience and expand complex ideas. These skills are beneficial for my study and work these days when working with cross-functional teams for new products.   

Therefore, I think video games like The Sims 2 were very important to my childhood as they taught me several things  mentioned above. Although somebody might not have as good experiences as me, I believe video games benefit our lives even though they might not see tangible improvements in their lives when they were still young.

words = 366


2 comments:

  1. Many years ago, sometime last century, I bought Sim City to play on my computer. It came on a floppy disc, an antique that my young nieces and nephews have never seen. I suspect that game Earth introduces was a bit more sophisticated. Sim City is the only game like that I've ever played, and although it was fun for a while, it didn't really hold my interest for long, and I have bought any computer game since.

    Actually, that's not true. I have played chess on my computer. It's a great way to practice before I meet my brother on my annual visits to Australia. Our family games of euchre are fun and no one cares who wins or loses much, but our chess battles are serious, and my brother plays a lot more than I do, so I need to brush up before we wage our wars on the board. And that reminds me again, a point I mentioned in my reply to Earth's comment on Poom's essay, that violence permeates our culture. The very ancient game of chess is basically a war game, but with the gore made invisible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not play any of Sims version before, but after I read your beautiful work, I really love how Sims reflex the player in many ways. To be honest, I am not a big fan of video games. However, this remind me when I was in childhood. I used to play Tao Kae Noi games a lot. I think it was so popular in Thailand that time. People around my generation should have know this. Thanks for taking me back in time. :)

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.