Saturday 20 February 2021

Phing: Crack and Bomb

A 90s  kid might be familiar with many famous or classical card games. I am certain that after growing up, those people still have a vivid memory of it. In my case, 24Game is one of the most outstanding memories.
24Game is a classical-arithmetic game which has uncomplicated rules. Firstly, the fastest player who finds a way to manipulate the four numbers shown (on the game cards) will be the winner. Second, players are allowed to add, subtract, multiply and divide each number only one time. For example, if the card contains the numbers 4, 7, 8, and 8, a possible solution will be ( 7-(8/8) ) x 4. Despite being a common game, my family played it our style. 

Not only did we adapt it to be more exciting, but this game also became a regular part of our road trips. In the era when low-cost airlines weren't widespread, holing up in a car for a long time was inevitable. Having nothing to play with can drive children crazy. No smartphone, no internet and no interesting sideway shops originated a new style of 24Game. I and my siblings didn’t have cards for playing this game; therefore, we used vehicle registration plates to substitute for game cards. We enjoyed playing with the plates more than the cards because it was more gripping and challenging. Many cars were moving so fast and sometimes turning to different paths. Moreover, we imagined that if the numbers of a car were cracked, that  car would be exploded. Players had to hurry up to get rid of enemy vehicles. It

 was my marvellous time with my siblings. My family road trips had never been boring after that.
All good things must come to an end. I rarely have road trips nowadays because air travel is more convenient. Furthermore, we all have a smartphone and a portable game console so our 24game is neglected. Even though it is over, I think that this game has already done its job. Had we never created this game, we would hate road trips.

2 comments:

  1. Despite my love of mathematics, I had never heard of the game Phing introduces, but her memories of long car trips reminded me of the same. We occasionally used to visit relatives in relatively distant places, and that meant a long car trip. By "long" I mean more than three hours.

    The trips always started fun, but being cramped in a car with my brothers and sisters soon got boring. We used play a game where we spotted items on a list, or more creatively we played "I spy" with our little eyes. That helped, but it was still a relief to have arrived and be able to escape the car. Like Phing, I much prefer the convenience of flying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It such a great memory! I tried that game a lot when I was child, roughly during primary school, on break period I gathered with my friends and created four to five number to think about it. It was really nice though. But then the time flies and during my high school. I suddenly missed this game so I surfed it in App store and I found the electronic version of 24Game. It is nice and has more function than the typical one.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.